Belgian Nationals Thread

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jan H, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

This is the line-up of this year's Belgian National Championships (organised by VLAMO, the Flemish Amateur Music Organisation), which will be organised on Sunday November 27th in the Concert Hall of the Royal Conservatoire of Brussels.

Compared to previous years, the turn-out is relatively big, with two recently formed bands that will participate in the Nationals for the first time: Brass Band de la province de Liège (from the French-speaking part of the country) and Brass Band Heist. Also Brass Band Campine will return to the Nationals after a one year abscence. Both Heist and Campine are conducted by Bert Van Thienen, soprano cornet with Brass Band Willebroek, who will have a quite busy day once again!

In the Championship Section, the "usual suspects" will be present. Will Willebroek win the national title once again? Like the last years, the biggest opposition is likely to come from Brass Band Buizingen (who became 4th at the World Championships in Kerkrade) and Metropole Brass Band from Antwerp.

Championship Section
    Brass Band Willebroek
    Brass Band Buizingen
    Metropole Brass Band
    Festival Brass Band
    Kortrijk Brass Band
    set piece: The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea (Derek Bourgeois)

1st Section
    Noord-Limburgse Brass Band
    Brass Band Leieland - withdrawn
    Young Brass Band Willebroek
    set piece: Blackfriars (Eric Cundell)

2nd Section
    Brass Band Campine,
    Brass Band Liège,
    Brass Band Zele
    Brass Band Smeermaas
    Brass Band Mons-Saint Georges
    set piece: Renaissance (Peter Graham)

3rd Section
    Brass Band Heist
    Brass Band de Thudinie - withdrawn

set piece: The Call of the Righteous (Leslie Condon)

Besides the set pieces, the bands will also play an own choice piece. Some "research" revealed that the choices include the following pieces:

Championship section: Journey to the Centre of the Earth (Sparke), Music for the Moving Image (Wilby), Paganini Variations (Wilby), Dreams (Moren) and On Alderly Edge (Graham)
    1st section: Between the Moon and Mexico (Sparke) and Whitsun Wakes (Ball)
    2nd section: Harmony Festival, Trittico (Curnow), Concerto for Band (Golland), Music for a Festival (Sparke), ...
    3rd section: Credo

Sections 2 and 3 will play in the morning (starting from 10 pm) and will be adjudicated by
    Goff Richards and John Berryman (both UK). All bands will first play the set piece and then, after a separate draw, the own choice pieces.

In the afternoon, the setup will be similar for the 1st and championship section, but these bands will be adjudicated by David Read (UK) and Fred Harles (Luxemburg).

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2005
  2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nationals
    Belgian
    Nationals Thread
    Brass Band de la province de Liège
  3. Jan H

It seems now that two bands have whitdrawn :(
    In first section Brass Band Leieland and in third section Brass Band de Thudinie...

4. Jan H

And once again, it seems that someone sent my English text to 4Barsrest! I don't believe that 4BarsRest would 'steal' my text and putt it on their own website, without referring to the original. Therefore I suspect that someone else must have done it... At least this someone could have mentioned my name... :(

Anyway, next week promises to be a very good day. I heard Willebroek yesterday in their try-out concert, and they seemed to be in very good form already!

oh, and Iwan Wiliams was amazing as well (incredible sound and control!)

5. pantarheipaul

pantarheipaul Member

results Belgian Nationals

1. BB Willebroek 382
    2. BB Buizingen 369
    3. Metropole BB 358
    4. Festival BB 343
    5. Kortrijk BB 340

I just received the results of our National Chmpionships.

Testpiece: The Devil and the deep blue sea (Bourgeois)

Choise:
    Willebroek; Journey to the centre of the earth
    Buizingen: Music of the moving image
    Metropole: Paganinni

more details later...

Edit: results merged into existing Belgian Nationals thread (dyl)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2005
  6. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Congratulations to Willebroek!

I'm intrigued by the format of this contest. Is it possible to know the components of the overall score - that is, how the bands were scored on the set piece without taking into account the choice piece?

7. Jan H

full results, also for the other sections (all points out of 400):

Champ section:

1. Willebroek 382 (Journey to the Centre of the Earth)
    2. Buizingen 369 (Music for the Moving Image)
    3. Metropole 358 (Pagninni Variations)
    4. Festival 349 (Dreams)
    5. Kortrijk 340 (On Alderly Edge)

1st section:

1. Noord-Limburg 348 (Between the Moon and Mexico)
    2. Jong Willebroek 345 (Whitsun Wakes)

2nd section

1. Campine 348
    2. Zele 336 (more points on set piece)
    3. Smeermaas 336
    4. St Georges 316
    Disqualified: Liege (they had 1 unregistered player :( )

3rd section

Heist 351

Robert, the separate points of the set and test piece were not read out on stage, but were handed out to the band's represenatives. As a matter of fact, all band representatives were present when the points were counted. The points were read out loud to the representatives, so that everyone could follow the counting and check whether there were any mistakes. I was acting as the represantive for the Noord-Limburgse Brass Band yesterday, so I was there :) And I also got to receive the trophee on stage :D

8. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

Thanks for the information, Jan. I'm always interested in the effect of the own-choice selection in a contest like this. This one is different because of the separate draw for the choice piece. The NABBA contest over here has a similar format (test piece + own choice), but not a separate draw - the band plays the pieces at one sitting, so each band is only on stage one time. This is a bit quicker in terms of logistics (fewer stage resets) but might produce different results than the style used in the Belgian contest.

And congratulations to all of the section winners :clap:

9. Jan H

I can imagine! There was a considerable delay yesterday!

10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

It's an interesting format, but doing the separate draw probably wouldn't work with more bands. Even if everything is going really efficiently on the resets, it's probably at least five minutes each, so every twelve bands adds another hour just in resets.

That said, I think that there are some ways that this format is superior to the NABBA format of having the bands play both the set piece and the choice piece at the same sitting, especially for the test piece portion. In contests that have no own-choice component, the adjudicators are able to directly compare the test piece performances without the distraction of having an own-choice piece between. The Belgian format preserves this feature while still having the own-choice component.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The European ( and the recent "World" competition) also keeps the set work and own choice separate, usually with the Set Work on the first day (carrying priority if scores are tied) and the Own Choice the next.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Nationals
    Belgian
    Nationals Thread
    Brass Band de la province de Liège