Belgian National Brassband Championships

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Jan H, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Next sunday, November 28th, the 27th Belgian National Brassband Championships will take place in the concerthall of the Royal Music Conservatory of Brussels. The contest is organised by VLAMO, the Flemish Amateur Musicians Organisation.

The 12 participating bands (10 Flemish and 2 Wallonian) are divided in 4 sections (C,1,2,3) and each band will play a set piece and an own choice piece. The order of play will be drawn on the day, with a separate draw for the set piece (morning) and for the own choice piece (afternoon).

There will be three adjudicators in separate closed boxes. In the end, the points of the three adjudicators will be added up to decide the final winners. The adjudicators this year will be Fred Harles, John Berryman and Malcolm Brownbill.

The following bands will participate:

Championship Section (set piece: Contest Music, Heaton)
    Brassband "Union" Buizingen
    Brassband Willebroek
    Festival Brassband
    Kortrijk Brassband
    Metropole Brassband

1st Section (set piece: The Essence of Time, Graham)
    Brassband Leieland
    Noord-Limburgse Brassband

2nd Section (set piece: Symphonic Suite, Lucas)

Brassband Zele
    Mons St.-Georges Brassband
    Young Brassband Willebroek

3rd Section (set piece: A Royal Mile Suite, Fernie)
    Brassband "De Grensbewoners" Smeermaas
    Brassband de Thudinie

personal comments:

"British style" brass bands only exist in Belgium since 30 years or so. It is still mainly a fanfare and wind band country, with an estimated 700 bands in Flanders alone. However, there are now about 40-50 brassbands in existence as well. Of those 40 bands, about 25 comply to the "standard" instrumentation and number of players. Only half of these bands annually compete in the national championships, so the participation rate is not very high. Hopefully, more bands can be motivitated to participate next year, especially in the lower sections.

Championship section: Brassband Willebroek are again the favourites to win the championships. The biggest opposition should come from Brassband Buizingen, especially since their very decent performance last year. Willebroek's biggest competitior of the past, Brassband Midden-Brabant (conducted by Benny Wiame) unfortunately folded in the spring of this year and although some attempts were made, they were unable to put together a band for this year's championships. Behind Willebroek and Buizingen, everything is possible.

my guess:
    1. Willebroek
    2. Buizingen
    3. Kortrijk
    4. Metropole
    5. Festival

1st section: Unfortunately there are only 2 participants this year. At least one other band withdrew, and rumours have it that it was because they found the set test piece too hard (although officially, they stated other reasons...)

my guess:
    1. Brassband Leieland
    2. Noord-Limburgse Brassband

Unfortunately, I cannot attend the championships myself :( because I have another engagement with my own (fanfare) band... But nevertheless, I will try to get the results as soon as possible on tMP!
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Many thanks for that Jan - great to have some insider knowledge on contests taking place in other countries.
  3. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

The winner goes on to the EBBC right? Will the winner also go to Kerkrade?
  4. Jan H

Yes, the winner of this contest will represent Belgium at the EBBA contest next year in Groningen.
    For the Kerkrade contest, Willebroek has already been invited and as far as I know, they have accepted the invitation.
  5. Jan H

I received the following results by SMS:
    (no points yet, only the order)
    (own choice piece between brackets)

Championship Section:
    1 BB Willebroek (Music of the Spheres, Sparke)
    2 BB Union Buizingen (Chivalry, Ellerby)
    3 Metropole BB (Les Preludes, Liszt)
    4 Festival BB (Isaiah 40, Redhead)
    5 Kortrijk BB (Chivalry, Ellerby)

1st Section:
    1 BB Leieland (The Plantagenets, Gregson)
    2 Noord-Limburgse BB (Trittico, Curnow)

2nd Section:
    1 Young BB Willebroek (Tryptich, Sparke)
    2 BB Zele (The Land of the Long White Cloude, Sparke)
    3 Mons St.-Georges BB (The Plantagenets, Gregson)

3rd Section:

1 KBB De Grensbewoners Smeermaas (Toccata Festiva, Van der Roost)
    2 BB de Thudinie (Toccata Festiva, Van der Roost)
  6. Jan H

I just received some points...

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
  7. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

2nd section

Young Brass Band Willebroek 541/600
    Brass Band Zele 529/600
    Mons St Georges 497/600
  8. Jan H

Congratulations TubaBee! ;)
  9. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

Thanx Jan_h:)
  10. brasscrest

brasscrest Active Member

This is interesting to me - two bands in different sections using the same own choice - could St.-Georges have hurt themselves by using the same piece as a higher-section band? (I'm assuming that the own-choice selections were not made public before the contest, so that they wouldn't have known). Were all the sections graded by the same adjudicators?
  11. Jan H

All sections were indeed graded by the same adjudicators. The pieces were not made public before the contest, but since the Belgian brass band scene is so small, it was quite easy to find out what pieces the bands were going to play (for the Flemish bands anyway, there is less contact with the bands from Wallonia). But the adjudicators were from Luxembourg and the UK, so I don't think this is a problem.
    For the rest, I cannot comment on the points of the two bands that played the Plantagenets, because I didn't here them play :)
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

BB Willebroek were quick off the mark using Music Of The Spheres! Well done to them , though. How did the performance sound?
  13. Jan H

As far as I know, they immediately ordered the piece when it was released by De Haske :)
    I heard them play it two weaks ago at their concert in Brussels, and there certainly was still some work to do at that time. But I spoke (online) to a couple of people who were there yesterday, and they all said that it was really amazing...
    There were plans to record all the performances to possibly release a Highlights CD, but unfortunately that didnt go through...