behavior of some banders

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mr_anon, Nov 30, 2004.

1. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

Don't you get annoyed when people from your band complain when your band has not won a contest, when:

(1) they only managed to turn up to 50% of rehearsals themselves
    (2) same goes for most of the band
    (3) they didn't listen to any other band
    (4) the only time they touch a brass instrument is during a band rehearsal
    (5) they've never had a lesson since they were a child
    (6) they didn't exactly play like an angel on stage because of (1) & (4) & (5)
  2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I get extremely annoyed when that happens, our conductor seems to consider himself lucky when 50% of the people make it to 50% of the rehearsals. There are maybe 5 or so dedicated musicians who go home, PRACTISE, (a word most of the members don't seem to understand) turn up to rehearsals on time, and give it their best on the day. The rest of them seem to turn up, play as quietly as possible, so any mistakes can't be heard and then boo the winning band, regardless of whether they deserved first place or otherwise.
    A number of the younger members have been known to go home, cry to their parents and quit the rehearsal after...:-?
  3. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

The sad thing is I was describing adults not children. Children in bands are far easier to deal with. They're more likely to do as they're told and improve.

If you put in the sort of poor commitment like I've described above and don't intend to do anymore than that for your band then surely it's against your interest for your band to win contests and go up a section because far more will be expected of you, for obvious reasons.

For me personally, even though I was highly committed to the bands I was at when I last played during the 90s, in some contests I admit to being pleased that we didn't win, simply because I didn't feel we deserved to because of the poor commitment of many of the band members.
  4. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I can understand where this is going.... It can get really frustrating nearing contest time when people still cant play their parts.

I don't have the best attendence at rehearsals, (I'm a student, got to fit in studying and part time job as well, got quite a distance to travel too) but I make the effort of making sure I can play my part. (you kinda have to on soprano!!!)

But you can always tell who doesn't practice from one week to the rest, and you are always going to have people who are not quite as committed to contesting.
  5. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

Of course. Sound, intonation and stamina are good indicators.

I think much of the problem with commitment was captured in Prince Charles's comments recently. People don't seem to understand that you need to put the work in to succeed.
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I get annoyed when people seem to have nothing better to do than to wind people up. These are the same people in the band that never have anything positive to say. (There's always 1-4 of them in every band!!)
  7. mr_anon

mr_anon Member

I also dislike the types that talk a lot but don't act. Like the people who come up with big ideas such as "we should organise a tour" then never do anything about it. Waste of space.
  8. brassybabe

brassybabe Member

I'm with u guys on that, it is extremely annoying.
    I may not be the best player in the world, but i go to every rehearsal and practice my parts. Its frustrating when others dont put the same amount of effort in!!!!!!!
  9. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

If they don't do anything about it...then complain about not going on tour...I could do without that.

However, keep in mind not everybody has the planning skills required to take on such an endeavor. Sometimes something big like a tour, requires somebody to have an idea, to get the ball rolling. Often something fun, like a tour, can't even begin until everybody knows the band is behind it and would like to do it.
  10. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yea, I don't like that either...
    You guys have pretty much summed up what happens in all bands...

People should start to give credit to the bands who do well.. Where's the Bandpeoples spirit?.... it's only a contest afterall :rolleyes: and there are many other contests to go out their and try and win; prove a point if you will...

Some people just have this thing, bug, about winning but dont put in the work and effort for it... Just ignore them... its not worth getting wound up about.... just a piece of music at the end of the day anyway... :rolleyes:

11. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

We just expect not to win...! :-?

I understand what you mean though - the adjudicator chooses the winner for a reason. Other people may not agree but that's life! It's up to the chosen adjudicator to decide, not them! :D
  12. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Speaking with my chairman's hat on, the majority of people in banding turn up, tune in and **** off home again. These at least are the people who attend rehearsals. The main problem with banding and generallly most other situations is that a percentage of members automatically think that someone else will do it, and therefore don't have to be part of the organising, whether it's a concert contest, carolling, or just good old fashioned fund raising.

In relation to the "We woz robbed" syndrome. That's just part of life, everybody believes that they performed to the best of their ability and delivered a winning performace. In my band when we don't win, we do have enough sane people to tell the rest of the band that we performed in such a way as not to merit a prize, especially first. Musicality is the key to people being able to make a balanced assessment of their own, and their bands performance on the day. If they can't, well maybe they should take stock and see if Music is something that they do to enjoy, or do to ensure that the winner of each contest is left feeling deflated, because nobody else at the contest, with the exception of the adjudicator felt they should've won.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

In my experience, I find that the same few people help getting instruments/stands/music ready for concerts/contests. Even when I have guested I always try to help the band load and unload the gear. It really irks me that some bandspeople think they are above all this (especially on the return from the event!). I'm sure most of you know what I'm on about! :-?
  14. lewis

lewis Member

15. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

We have a steady core of people in our band who can always be relied upon to sort this stuff out and it so happens that they are the same people who are always there rehearsal in - rehearsal out, putting the work in to get the misic right too...thankfully this core includes just about everyone...we only have the odd one or two that think folding their stand away is doing their bit.

What does annoy me is when I get to the pub after a job and have to stand because the ones who just wander off when we've played have taken all the seats and are sat there merilly chatting and drinking away without a care. Grrrr!! These people think that loading timps is a medical condition!!!!
  16. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Or an unfortunate sexual desire..... :) (Sorry!)
  17. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

Mr_anon all you do is moan!!!! I dont care if i know you!

Winning means different things for certain people, its like marmite you either like it or you dont. Im Quite annoyed at (5) i know some of the top players that have never had a lesson, not all people at afford £15 every week. Plus band isnt everything, in my book family comes first. So the people you aim it at may have a life??

If you dont like the moaning ignore it. I have for 11 years and nobody can say in all there playing days they have not thought that they should have had a better result
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2004
  18. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Lots of anger and frustration on here.....relax

As my old condcutor once said, if your happy with what you do don't worry about anybody else. ie you can't influence how others behave, just behave properly yourself
  19. groovy

groovy Active Member

I can understand where you're all coming from! lol I think when joining a band you're agreeing to a BIG commitment and maybe some people aren't aware what they're letting themselves in for. ;)

Another thing is that for many it is just a hobby that they do to relax, and perhaps loading timps isn't their idea of relaxation. ;)
  20. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Don't you think it sometimes seems like more than committment? Maybe LIFESTYLE is more appropriate. I describe banding to others as being involved in a dynamic family atmosphere with all it's positives and negatives rather than turning up and tootling away for a couple of rehearsals per week! Sounds less bland and maintains conversation a little longer! :)