Beethoven Essay. HELP needed!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by kate_the_horn, Apr 18, 2005.

1. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

Reserch and examine the Social and Cultural Conditions that Surrounded the Composition of Your Set Work(s)

"Beethoven''s Septet in Eb" is my set work

i dont know where to start, and its 1500 words.

anyone know what i am to do?

k x
  2. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I did a Beethoven module last year, but not familiar with this piece though. Have you tried 'The Beethoven compendium : a guide to Beethoven's life and music' ed. Barry Cooper? It's a really comprehensive book, I wouldn't be surprised if you already knew it as it seemed to be hailed as the Beethoven bible for us!
  3. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Nice Beethoven website:

Is the esay suppose to be about the "social and cultural conditions" of Beethoven and the piece itself, or more generally about the time period in which it was written (about 1800)?
  4. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Ask your teacher.
  5. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

im not sure to be honest!
    i dont wanna ask my teacher, i'ev left it till last minute
    kel x :)
  6. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

Trust me, you'll be better asking what you have to to and confess you've left it until the last minute, rather than handing in something that is poor and that you'll have to do again. I'd rather spend 10 minutes explaining to a student who needed help than marking an assignment that was done badly or even worse, doesn't answer the original question. It saves everyone a lot of extra work.

G'wan, do it!! Be brave and ASK!!
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

8. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The music department of your local library would seem to be a good starting point. Books on Beethoven are not exactly rare...

Good luck
  9. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

I'm no Beethoven expert , but like many composers of his time he was influenced by the events around him.Europe at the time was convulsed by the after effects of the French Revolution , the rise of Napoleon and the ensuing wars which developed as a result.It might be worth developing some thoughts along those lines in terms of the social background of the work.Beethoven's dedication to the Eroica symphony was actually to Napoleon originally (Beethoven was inspired by the original idealism of the revolution) before he struck it out when Napoleon assumed the title of emperor and in Beethoven's view betrayed his original ideals.It might be woth contrasting Beethoven's idealism of the time as far as the revolution was concerned with the political / social conditions in his native Germany( collection of States at the time rather than a single entity as now and I show my ignorance by not knowing which of the German states he lived in ) which were generally very repressive in response to what had happened in France. Let me know date / location of composition and I will hold forth at length for you!!!
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

skeleton tree of his life in the 1790s leading to 1799 when he wrote his septet ...

First Creative Period (to 1802)

1. Biographical background
      1. In the 1790s Beethoven lived in Vienna.
      2. Several members of the Austrian, Bohemian, and Hungarian aristocracy encouraged and supported him.
        1. Prince Karl von Lichnowsky let him live in one of his houses.
        2. Lichnowsky, Prince Kinsky, and Archduke Rudolf set up an annuity for Beethoven to help him stay in Austria.
        3. Beethoven dedicated some of his works to these men and other patrons.
      3. Beethoven supplemented his income by teaching piano and playing piano in concerts.
    [Beethoven moved in 1792 to Vienna, where he had some lessons from Haydn and others, quickly establishing himself as a remarkable keyboard-player and original composer. In 1792 Haydn invited him to become his student, and Beethoven returned to Vienna, where he was to remain permanently. However, Beethoven's unorthodox musical ideas offended the old master, and the lessons were terminated. Beethoven studied with several other eminent teachers, including Antonio Salieri, but was developing according to his own singular genius and could no longer profit greatly from instruction. Public concerts were not yet the way of life in Vienna, but Beethoven did begin a series of charity concerts. ]