Beduff Symphony Hall - Well done to Midlands Committee!

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by David Mann, Apr 19, 2007.

1. David Mann

David Mann Member

We received the news that our area contest will move to Bedworth (pronounced bed-uff locally) Civic Hall and Nicholas Chamberlain School from next year. I've played at both venues and they are acoustically good and have the facilities to be able to register and maybe warm up without going outside. Also, there are pubs nearby and Bedworth is very accessible by road. So, well done the committee (I never thought I'd write that!).:tup

2. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

YEP good news indeed.. In fact I spent 5 years at Nico School and played many times at Civic Hall. GREAT accoustics. A defining day in my Brass Band experience was hearing Birmingham School of Music (Jones & Crossland) playing Checkmate ... amazing..

As regards Nico, I presume they will use the main School Hall which can be used either end. i.e on a smallish stage (where I did many a school play !!) with toooo many drapes will make dull accoustic OR maybe better to play on the elevated steps opposite. Also what used to be the Girls Gym or the Refectory could be the asembly area..

As regards the Civic hall maybe a problem again with somewhere to assemble as a lot of the old Beduth car Car parks are now buit on.. Theree's a Witherspoon just around the corner from Civil Hall and it's about a ten minute walk down to Nico.

Many locals thought ths would work well...

3. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I'm surprised you still remember the old school Rob.I only ever played there as a kid playing for City of Coventry'B' under the direction of Albert Chappell.That was such a long time ago.
    Glad to see you are still remembering where your roots are.Sunny Buckinton(Bulkington)hasn't changed that much.I will keep in touch and hope Derwent are doing well.Great to see that you are promoted to Champ section.Good luck.
    CubbRep.....Richard.

4. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

Can't forget your school days hey.. Good to see you at Dave's send off... Keep in touch.

5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Has a date been set for next year?

There was talk of moving to february.

6. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Yes, well done indeed!!

Can't wait for that 116 mile journey next year.

7. beccawheeze2

beccawheeze2 Member

Is this offical? I've heard many a rumour.

8. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

Am sure many bands in remote parts of Scotland and also bands in North Wales would be envious of such a local trip. Also those of us at the extremes of the L & SC area would be too :wink:

Having visited Burton a few times for the contest the biggest pain seemed to be car parking. Will that be improved at the new venue?

9. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Agreed, although there are at least 3 area contests that are closer to us now.

Bradford 52 miles,
    Blackpool 67 miles
    Darlington 105 miles
    Bedworth 116 miles!!!

10. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

No its still the same weekend in March

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bed-uff
    committee
    Nicholas Chamberlain School
    pubs
    Beduff Symphony Hall
  12. honey bun

honey bun Active Member

Yes it is official and theres another hall being used as well - The Tech College? Can't remember the name.

13. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

S'pose you could ask why is Glossop classed as Midlands ? Consideing you are well North of Sheffield, Rotherham etc.. It's just length of Derbyshire..

14. ROBTHEDOG

ROBTHEDOG Member

15. pilgrim

pilgrim New Member

Agreed, but what about the Lincolnshire bands who have an average of 100 miles

pilgrim:tup

16. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

Which bands would they be?

17. pilgrim

pilgrim New Member

Bands such as Skegness Silver, Market Rasen, Horncastle(Banovallum)
    Pilgrim:tup

18. tubaloopy

tubaloopy Member

All these bands were also closer to Burton (although only 1 I know of competes at the area), but are still closer to Bedworth than Glossop!!

If the move is for the greater good then I have no problem.

19. Brian

Brian Member

Don't forget Swineshead Silver (at the Area this year) who are from near Boston, One heck of a trip for all these Bands from near the Lincolnshire Coast

20. on_castors

on_castors Member

.... and always will be, just as it was to Burton: You have said this before in another thread, and again neither place has moved, so the difference in journeys is still of no real significance -

Eg. Google maps http://maps.google.co.uk/ :
    Compare -
    Boston, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom to Burton-on-trent, Staffordshire, United Kingdom = 86.2 mi (about 2 hours 7 mins)

AND

Boston, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom to Bedworth, Warwickshire CV12, United Kingdom = 90.4 mi (about 2 hours 7 mins)

Exact locations might make small differences, but 4.2 miles, with exactly the same projected journey time is as near no difference as you could ever bet on!

Similarly, my TomTom Navigator gives fastest journey to Bedworth from Boston as 97.2 miles = 2hours 3 minutes and to Burton as 82.6miles = 1hour 59 minutes again, as near as makes no difference at 4 minutes over a 2 hour journey.
    OK, no calculation can hope to be 100% accurate, but I find TomTom fairly good as a sensible estimate most of the time.

I do sympathise that SOME bands are going to be a long way away, and I do not envy you of the journey, I am very pleased my journey is going to be MUCH shorter, but it could have gone the other way too. I am afraid the geography of the country is never going to make the East coast centrally placed for the Midlands area, and other venues that have been suggested were never going to be perfect for everyone, at least this is in essence no different.

21. postie

postie Member

Unless you know the roads very well On Castors - the route that the Lincolnshire Bands would need to take involve driving along single A and B roads, often quite windy and not the sort of roads that you can put your put your foot down on. Lincolnshire is well known for speed cameras and a history of road accidents.

It take us nearly two hours to get from where we live to Skegness and thats from Nottingham.

Its easy to look at mileage and compare mileage but its the type of roads you have to consider.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2007
  22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    bed-uff
    committee
    Nicholas Chamberlain School
    pubs
    Beduff Symphony Hall