Bedtime Puzzle

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by bigmamabadger, Feb 17, 2006.

1. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

This is laughably easy once it's been explained to you. OK it had to be explained to me several times but hey...
    Who can get it the quickest.

3 men go to a hotel. Receptionist tell them it's £30 for the room. They pay the £30 and go off. The receptionist realises he's made a mistake, it should only be £25, so he hands the bell-boy £5 and tells him to return the money to the 3 men. The bell-boy can't figure out how to divide £5 by 3 so he thinks I'll just give them £1 each back and pocket the other £2.
    This means the 3 men have paid £9 each for the room. 3 x £9 = £27. The bell-boy has £2. That makes a total of £29. Where has the other £1 gone!
    Night night
  2. Sop_Or_Bass?

Sop_Or_Bass? Member

aaarrrrggghhh it's getting late.

3x£8 is £24. So the extra £1 has gone to the hotel as the bell boy had less than £1 from each person (i.e. £2 to bell boy, £1 to hotel)

Is that right?

I won't go as far as asking what the 3 blokes were doing sharing a room. I assume saving money by only having one room. (But maybe that part of the puzzle is irrelevant!)
  3. impycornet

impycornet Member

3 x £9 does equal £27, but the £2 going to the bell-boy is included in that £27, so it makes no sense to add the £2 to £27 to make £29.
    They paid £25 for the hotel room, £2 for the tip (£27), and then got £1 back each to make the original £30.

4. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Am I being blonde, or has it gone nowhere?
    Only 27 has been paid out. I think! :-? :lol:
  5. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

the recoptionist stole it!
    I havnt got a clue.
  6. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

It was to be hoped that Rob could work this one out...otherwise I was gonna go home and look at the Mortgage figures again!! :-?
  8. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

More, more, more bedtime stories such as this please Mrs BMB..... :tup
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

There are 3 lights in the attic and 3 switches in the basement.

Each switch controls one light but no one knows which one.

You may only touch the switches a maximum of 3 times in total and may only go up stairs once.

How do you work out which switch controls which light?
  10. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Turn on switch A. Leave it for a few minutes. Turn it off, and trundle off down to the cellar and have a feel of the bulbs and find out which bulb is warm. Take notes.

Have a beer, to let that one cool down.

Wander back upstairs. Repeat for switch B, and by a process of elimination, you know which bulb is controlled by switch C too.

Have another beer to celebrate.

Have a third beer while you ponder why on earth anyone would have switches for the cellar lights in the attic.
  11. Steve

Steve Active Member

Close, but you are only allowed one trip from attic to cellar. Any more would be a waste of effort! (and the electrics were designed by a woman!)
  12. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Fair do's, that was a pants explanation I gave anyway.

Turn A AND B on, leave for a bit, turn B off, when you go up A is on, B is warm and C is cold.

That's better!

Edit: Ye Gods, I'm a cack reader. I missed the one trip thing AND got the floors mixed up first time!
  13. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Yeah, but you came to the same conclusion I did, so it's all good. :D
  14. Steve

Steve Active Member

Heres an easy one......

A man walks into the shop and asks how much one costs. the girl serving replies £2, he says what about thirty five and she replies that will be £4 pounds. Finally he says what about six hundred and sixty six and she replies just £6 please.

What is he buying?
  15. euphybeast

euphybeast Member

numbers or answers
  16. 2nd man down

Numbers for his door?
  17. Steve

Steve Active Member

yup, next.......

Six drinking glasses stand in a row, with the first three full of water and the next three empty. By handling and moving only one glass at a time, how can you arrange the six glasses so that no full glass stands next to another full glass, and no empty glass stands next to another empty glass. What is the minimum number of moves to solve this puzzle.
  18. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

One move - empty the second full glass into the second empty glass.
  19. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

One move: take the middle of the full glasses and pour its contents into the middle of the empty ones.
  20. 2nd man down

3 moves.

move 1. LH glass move to RH end
    move 2. Glass now 3rd from RH end move to LH end.
    move 3. glass now 2nd from LH end move to 3rd from RH end.

easy peasy.