Bedroom design for teen trombonist....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by MyNameIsNotSam, Sep 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. MyNameIsNotSam

MyNameIsNotSam New Member

Hello!
    My teenage son practices every night for at least an hour 1/2. He's been practicing in our living room, because his bedroom is crowded and small (however, he could prob lose some things...) and we live in small single-story house.

My question: How can we design his bedroom to be more practice- friendly? Do you have sound proof tiles in your practice space?

All suggestions/ pictures welcome!

Thank you!!

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

The simplest answer is to buy him a practice mute (they are similar but different from standard mutes). Ear plugs for the rest of the family is another answer, pragmatic but maybe not popular.

If you live in an attached property then talk nicely to the neighbours and try to find practice times when they are out / will not be too disturbed.

Edit.

#As well as considering the neighbours perhaps you could also agree practice times with your son that will be tolerable to the rest of your own household.
    #Structure his practice space in any suitable room that's further away from the rest of the household and have him practice with the bell pointing away from where the rest of the household will be (for say an hour practice space can be in any room and does not have to be where his instrument and music is stored).
    #After a couple of years he'll become so good that you'll be pleased to listen to the music...... or just used to the noise.
    #There is a site called the Trombone Forum, I recall reading about practice space solutions there.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    MyNameIsNotSam likes this.
  3. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Obviously practicing the trombone is the most important thing.

Could you put a telly in his room so the rest of the family don't get in his way?

Or go and stand outside in the street.

Kiz7, Mesmerist and Euphonium Lite like this.
  4. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Playing into a practice mute can help you in terms of decreasing noise, but it is not the same as playing without it, and I don't think it is likely to be a strong component of any solution here - the feel is quite different, and spending all his practice time with one in may do funny things to his playing - it changes the resistance at the lips appreciably.

Is there another local building that he could use? Bandhall (or maybe a church hall?) around the corner that you could get a key for to let him into? Do you maybe have a garden big enough to build a soundproofed shed in? I've seen that done to good effect.

MyNameIsNotSam and Tom-King like this.
  5. Euphonium Lite

Euphonium Lite Active Member

I'd also praise your son for WANTING to practice especially in teenage years. That's gotta be encouraged....

However I do appreciate its difficult - I have the same sort of thing in that my kids are usually in bed at the times I could do some practice. So I usually end up having a blow at times when I'm not quite as "up for it".

In terms of bedroom space, as long as he has room to extend his slide to the end, and look at his music stand as well, that's likely to be all he really needs. And then its getting buy in from the neighbours and the rest of the family to make allowances for when he practices

MyNameIsNotSam likes this.
  6. Ianroberts

Ianroberts Well-Known Member

Going by
    a; the trombone players I know
    b; The teenagers I know

The mandatory pair of boxing gloves ! ;););)

7. MyNameIsNotSam

We love hearing him play! But my daughter also needs to practice and my husband and I would like to have a conversation *inside* the house!

8. MyNameIsNotSam

The practice shed is great idea! Thank you!

9. MyNameIsNotSam

He *wants* to practice, so we are not discouraging that aspect of it at all... The teen part of the equation is a different thread!

10. MyNameIsNotSam

We already field phone calls from the garage....

Kiz7 likes this.
  11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    house.My
    Bedroom design
    night
    small single-story house
    teenage son practices
  12. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

How great he wants to practice and how great he has supportive parents who are looking for solutions. Well done to all of you!

I'd echo the practice shed idea if you can, my daughter used to practice in the garage if I was trying to work in the house

13. Mujician

Mujician Member

I wouldn't suggest a practice mute, as these aren't really made for practicing with for long periods of time. They are, as far as I'm concerned, an aid to building lungs. If played into for longer than 10 minutes could have adverse effects. My suggestion would be to get the children to stagger their practice. So they aren't playing at the same time where possible. Come up with a practice timetable.

14. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

Some helpful advice on this thread; thanks to all who posted it. I was seriously considering shelling out for a practise mute, or for the Yamaha Silent Brass system, but it appears that my dosh would be better spent on building a small soundproof booth for me to sit inside. Having done a rough costing, it would be a great deal cheaper, too.