Becoming a registered charity

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Sparky, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Sparky

Sparky Member

I've noted that a lot of bands are regitered charities. I would love to know what the pro's and con's of doing this are. We have considered it a couple of times and thought that it might be a lot of effort for little return. I would be very interested in hearing your experiences.

2. SheldonBarwick

SheldonBarwick New Member

Hi John,

Our band has been a Charity for about 2 years now. The process wasn't to difficult, but you need a written constitution and you need audited accounts. With in the constitution you need to outline what the aims of the organisation is and how charity status will help - things like help the local youth, education etc. One of the main pluses for us was that we could claim tax back on donations and subs.

Have a look at the Charities Commission website

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/

SUB

3. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Is this through the Gift Aid scheme? We're looking into this, and finding the time to work through all the stuff is a bit of a nightmare!! ANy advice on this aswell?

4. masefield

masefield Member

I am the Chairperson of a parental group for my son's school and the music department we have had two separate thoughts about registering. We have tried securing monies from a number of sources lottery, trusts etc. There are a number of other sources who only distribute to registered charities so we might have to have another look at it. I think another plus might be attracting funds from businesses for example and perhaps we might be better placed if firms wishes to claim any contribution against their tax liability. Would be interested in any further views.