Beckham's Speech

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by LeDragon, Jul 5, 2006.

1. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

:p

Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

:clap:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how you can resign from a position you don't actually hold? I don't recall the new Manager appointing a Captain as yet.

3. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Good point Andy. I also find it strange that people have the arrogance to stand down from a position that isn't necessarily theirs, nor is theirs to make.

Not sure of the grammar there but I hope you know what I mean :)

4. dyl

dyl Active Member

I think the most important question here is when did he learn to write and draw pictures?

5. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Not only that, but before he came off the pitch in the Portugal match he handed over the captain's armband to someone else, so at the point when he resigned he wasn't actually the captain anyway !!

Just to make things clear though, I would like to take this opportunity to announce that I too am resigning from the England Captaincy with immediate effect.

6. gawber

gawber Active Member

:clap:

Ha ha ha!

I'm Spartacus! :p

7. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

he didn't - he got Brooklyn to write it and then Romeo to draw the picture!

8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

This had been puzzling me actually!! Surely the captaincy is handed out on a game by game basis? So as soon as he came off the pitch he was mortal Beckham again.

How "head in the clouds" do you need to be to assume that you will be asked to do it again??

or...

does he just know something about Steve McClarens choice of captain and with a pre-emptive strike saved face by making sure he wasn't in the running next time when McClaren went to someone else? Interesting.

9. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I reckon it has shades of Dave Lee Travis' on-air resignation from Radio 1....:) ;)

10. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Precisely!! ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Speech. :p
    Beckham
  12. Andy Moore

Andy Moore Member

I see what you're saying, but maybe his point was that he doesn't wish to be considered for the captaincy?

...A bit confusing.

13. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

More to the point, I suspect he got wind of McClaren's plans for a new Captain

14. Flutey

Flutey Active Member

Well true as that may be, could any descendent of the Beckhams be that academic? Surely he asked Sven or someone?