Beckham goes to LA galaxy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Bungle, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Bungle

Bungle Member

Well couldn't really see him coming back to cold wet UK and be hounded by the press. I think he also wants to do a Vinney Jones in get into film acting, so he's gone to the right place. Fair play to him, if it raises the profile of football in the US, it can't be a bad thing.

2. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

It will also raise his bank balance to the tune of £128m over the five years contract he's signed. :eek:

Good luck to him.

3. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

How does that work then? I thought they had a salary cap in US Soccer?

4. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

They appear to have "relaxed the rules" on this a bit:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6140468.stm

Plus, I understand that a large amount of the money is from sponsorship deals and image rights rather than purely salary.

5. Big Gav

Big Gav Member

I just love the way he makes out that he hasnt done it for the money, when he's getting £492,000 a WEEK!!!!

6. jamieow

jamieow Member

He's obviously more concerned with raising the profile of 'soccer' in the US than the money!!!
    Hmmm.......good luck to him, I'd do it!!!
    It's an unfathomable amount of money though!!

7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

His salary is capped by the league rules but what he can earn from image rights and sponsorship is his own. Pity we won't be seeing him in the east end of Glasgow. Posh probably wouldn't have liked it anyway. :(

8. jamieow

jamieow Member

His salary is capped by the league rules but what he can earn from image rights and sponsorship is his own. Pity we won't be seeing him in the east end of Glasgow. Posh probably wouldn't have liked it anyway. :(

His salary isn't capped - there was a rule restricting MLS teams to a maximum ependiture of $1m US between the whole squad - 28 players.
    The rule was changed last year (now dubbed the Beckham rule) to them now being allowed to pay 1 member of each team whatever the hell they want to actually. Granted, a lot of that will be from sponsorship but his basic salary certainly is miles more than anyone else on MLS at present.

9. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

That's an obscene amount of money, especially for a player, in the words of George Best [paraphrased] " can't go past anyone, has no pace and has only one leg!"
    Suppose, his name sells lots of merchandise.

It will be interesting to see how he gets on with team mates who earn in 1 year what he earns in a week, and when the fuss dies down after 18 months or so.. playing in stadiums with 80,000 capacity where on average 15,000 or so turn up to watch.

10. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

It certainly won't do much for team spirit with such a huge wage gap between the players.

One thing though most MLS clubs are now getting their own purpose built stadiums with capacities of less than 30,000. I think they learned from the errors the NASL made by openinig up huge stadiums for next to nobody to watch games. Still one hell of a comedown after the Bernebau & Old Trafford.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    LA galaxy Well
    UK
    Beckham
    Vinney Jones
    ca
  12. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

It's a real shame that he has gone to America when he still has so much to offer at the top level of the European and World game. I, for one, am not one of the Beckham detractors and I still think he is probably one of the best players England have ever had. No matter how they dress it up as wanting to expand the game in America, I think it is a backward step for his career, which is now basically over.

13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

I'd agree with that. I think the door back to the England squad is now firmly shut and locked.

14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I'd agree with that; the Beckham marketing phenomenon has alienated a lot of people to the point that they (and sometimes I think Becks himself) forget what a good player he was in his pomp. I suppose he could have had another great couple of years in the Premiership, but where? When you've won the Champions League with Manchester United, fighting relegation with lower clubs is unlikely to appeal. He'd never be welcome at Liverpool or City, he'd never get a game at Chelski and Posh would probably veto any clubs outside London (or Manchester at a push) anyway. So if Arsenal weren't in for him he didn't really have much choice.

A lot of radio commentators expressed a certain amount of disappointment and bitterness that he's "taken the money" and gone to LA, instead of trying to get back to the Premiership and back in McLaren's woeful England side. In his shoes, after all the abuse levelled at him and his family by the UK media, I'd have done exactly the same thing. He's proved himself in the biggest arenas his profession has to offer and now he's feathering the nest for his family and his retirement. Can you blame him?