Beaumaris Band Sizzling with Enthusiasm

Discussion in 'Bandroom News - User Submitted' started by maggie williams, Mar 5, 2005.

1. maggie williams

maggie williams New Member

Over the last few months Beaumaris Band have been very busy working on various projects with a wealth of talented young conductors which include Ian Brownbill, Russell Grey, Glyn Williams, Thomas Wyss and of course the resident conductor of Stavanger band from Norway, Morten Hansen who will be taking the band at the forthcoming Welsh Regionals at the Brangwyn Hall, Swansea.

The band is enjoying a very stable period with only one new member joining the band since last year. Fred Hughes previously solo trombone with the Point of Ayr band is excited with his return to the band where he started his playing career back in the 1970’s.

The band is very fortunate to have a close relationship with Bill Connor (composer) who is currently lecturing at the University of Wales, Bangor. He recently conducted the band at a concert which celebrated the 70th birthday of the composer Mervyn Burtch. The programme featured a number of his compositions including his exciting Concerto for Piano and Brass Band, which was brilliantly performed by Harvey Davies.

More recently the band has developed an enthusiastic relationship with Andy Berryman from the Hallé Orchestra. He brings a wealth of experience to the band having been associated with Brass Bands since he was a young boy….

“At the age of 8 I started playing in Bodmin Town Band, where my Dad conducted. The family then moved to Wakefield, where my father conducted Grimethorpe Colliery and I played with the junior band. We then moved to Kettering, where my parents still live, and my Dad started a long conducting post with William Davis Construction Group Band. I played with this band for many years, until in 1984, when I went to college. I spent four years at the Guildhall School of Music and Drama where every Monday night we had band practice.

Fortunately I got a job at the end of my course with the Ulster Orchestra. Banding here wasn’t as busy as I’d been used to but it was still an important part of my musical life. Four years later I found myself as Principal Trombone with the Hallé. This year I will be completing 17 years!

During this time I have heard many great soloists and seen a huge amount of conductors and been fortunate enough to work with many of the country’s leading orchestras, this has enhanced my own musical curiosity. I now feel it is time to look down a different avenue but one that has been a constant throughout my musical life.
    Whilst I have been in the Hallé I have often had the opportunity to play with many of the top brass bands, sometimes as a soloist and sometimes as a guest player for contests. I have always kept that special brass band sound in my ears and now look forward to passing on the skills I have learnt over the past 25 years. Over recent years I’ve found myself doing more and more conducting and have enjoyed the challenge of shaping and creating music rather than being a cog in the wheel. I have been the Musical Director of Corus Brass for the past two years and have recently been involved with Seindorf Beaumaris Band, not as a player this time, but as a conductor. My main contact with Beaumaris is Gwyn who is the resident conductor of the band, although his role is now two fold as he is filling the flugel position. So with his guidance and my over active imagination we are cooking up some interesting projects for the future. One of the irons in the fire is composer/arranger John Parkinson.

John Parkinson is currently the Head of Music and Performing Arts at Turton High School Media Arts College. John originally played the tenor horn but changed to French horn in order to play in orchestras. He studied for his degree at Hull University and then went on to gain his Masters at York University where his dissertation was on ‘The role of the performer in today’s society. He is the Principal horn with Bolton Symphony Orchestra and Bolton Sinfonietta. He is also the horn player - composer/arranger with Corus Brass. His first project with the band is a commission based on a Welsh/Norwegian folk tune. This will get its first airing in June when the band will be touring Norway. I am very much looking forward to this exciting liaison.”

Andy’s vision for the future is a source of inspiration and excitement amongst all the players in the band as they look forward with great anticipation. :D
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2005