Beatles Arrangements

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by trumpetmike, Aug 15, 2011.

1. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

One of the brass groups I work with has been asked to play at a memorial concert (for someone who was very influential in my musical life). He was a huge fan of the Beatles so we have been asked whether we might be able to play a Beatles number for the event.
    I am after advice and suggestions.

His wife has suggested Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band or Good Day Sunshine, but is open to other thoughts as to suitable pieces.

I would ask that all suggestions take into account the following:
    It is for a memorial service (although upbeat has been requested, nothing too sombre)
    It is a concert in memory of a fantastic musician, so please no arrangements that are of the pure cheese nature
    It is in the programme between Beethoven's 6th Symphony and Pomp & Circumstance March 4

The players can cope with just about anything thrown at them, so the technical level of the piece is not overly relevant, it is the musical quality that matters.

Many thanks in advance for all your thoughts and suggestions
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

"All You Need Is Love" is the first song that springs to mind ...
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Is it or could it be a quintet? There's a whole book of Canadian Brass arrangements of Beatles tunes - do you know it?
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

On a personal note, I don't like most of the arrangements on the album!
  5. tkhbss

tkhbss Member

Black Dyke recorded a CD of Beatles music, all available from Obrasso. Here is a tracklist from World of Brass

All My Loving
    Eleanor Rigby
    Hard Days Night (A)
    Hey Jude
    I Want to Hold your Hand
    Lady Madonna
    Let it Be
    Norwegian Wood
    Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da
    Penny Lane
    She Loves You
    She's Leaving Home
    Ticket to Ride
    When I'm 64
    With a Little Help of my Friends
    Yellow Submarine
  6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Oh, they're all right. And quite hard too, which sounds like it ought to please Mike!
  7. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I think they take too many liberties, making it sound like a New Orleans Brass Band.
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

I do have these arrangements (and the introductions, which don't come with them), but the group playing is a symphonic ensemble.
    I have to admit, I'm not a huge fan of some of those arrangements, some of them are difficult purely because Canadian Brass can cope with just about anything you throw at them.

Brassneck - any particular arrangement of All You Need is Love that you would recommend?
  9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

There's not many I know of (for a 10-piece?) except the Canadian Brass with the mistakes in the melody line (and elsewhere), lol! These can be easily corrected though.
  10. BrianT

BrianT Member

I reckon you couldn't go far wrong playing 'Blackbird' on flugel with piano accompaniment. I know it's not symphonic brass, but if it's between two large-scale works the change of texture would be refreshing. And if it's a solo it can be your special tribute.
  11. Trum

Trum Member

I've played alot of them myself but particularly rate the Eleanor Rigby arrangement. When I'm 64 being the turkey in my opinion.

Ticket to Ride is fabulous from a novelty point of view too..
  12. its_jon

its_jon Member

13. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

London Brass produced a 10-piece (or larger) arrangement of Blackbird - either by Richard Bissill or Richard Edwards, I can't recall - and there may be others...