Be Sure To Cancel Your Credit Cards When You Die

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MRSH, Jun 10, 2008.

1. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

I presume this is true but almost unbelievable, yet when you consider the mentality of some of our major organizations it is believable.

Where are we going!!!!????? Unfortunately this is true, hard to believe!!!!

A lady died this past January, and Citibank billed her for February and March for their annual service charges on her credit card, and added late fees and interest on the monthly charge. The balance had been $0.00, now somewhere around $60.00. A family member placed a call to Citibank. Here is the exchange:

Family Member: 'I am calling to tell you she died in January.'

Citibank: 'The account was never closed and the late fees and charges still apply.'

Family Member: 'Maybe, you should turn it over to collections.'

Citibank: 'Since it is two months past due, it already has been.'

Family Member: So, what will they do when they find out she is dead?'

Citibank: 'Either report her account to frauds division or report her to the credit bureau, maybe both!'

Family Member: 'Do you think God will be mad at her?' (I really liked this part!!!!)

Citibank: 'Excuse me?'

Family Member: 'Did you just get what I was telling you - the part about her being dead?'

Citibank: 'Sir, you'll have to speak to my supervisor.' (Duh!)

Supervisor gets on the phone:

Family Member: 'I'm calling to tell you, she died in January.'

Citibank : 'The account was never closed and late fees and charges still apply.' (This must be a phrase taught by the bank!)

Family Member: 'You mean you want to collect from her estate?'

Citibank: (Stammer) 'Are you her lawyer?'

Family Member: 'No, I'm her great nephew.' (Lawyer info given)

Citibank: 'Could you fax us a certificate of death?'

Family Member: 'Sure.' (Fax number is given )

After they get the fax:

Citibank: 'Our system just isn't setup for death. I don't know what more I can do to help.'

Family Member: 'Well, if you figure it out, great! If not, you could just keep billing her. I don't think she will care.'

Citibank: 'Well, the late fees and charges do still apply.'(What is wrong with these people?!?)

Family Member: 'Would you like her new billing address?'

Citibank: 'That might help.'

Family Member: ' Odessa Memorial Cemetery , Highway 129, Plot Number 69.'

Citibank: 'Sir, that's a cemetery!'

Family Member: 'What do you do with dead people on your planet???

2. That is absolutely crazy!
  3. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

As someone who has actually had dealings with Citibank, I can assure you that this level of intelligence, incompetence and rank stupidity is about right.

Have you ever tried to close a Citibank account? Next to impossible (I refuse to die on general principle.)

I should have realsied when I saw the person I was dealing with had one eye and a steeply sloping forehead.:rolleyes:
  4. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

No wonder the country is going to the wall when morons like that are in charge of financial institutes.
  5. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Morons like that have important jobs everywhere. I'm afraid this country no longer has the standards of excellence it once had. I had a huge stress-out with another one from my car insurer over stolen car keys in a recent burglary. They were adamant that my keys were not covered, even after being told they were by the AA (to whom all praise and honour and so on) in a very forceful way! I can highly recommend the AA as insurance brokers. They fight your corner. I will not however be accepting quotes from NiG. They've lost my custom. That is often the best way of fighting these people. Vote with your feet.
  6. bassinthebathroom

bassinthebathroom Active Member

I did precisely that with my banking, Mike. I left Lloyds TSB about a year ago after (despite me informing them on the Friday that my passport had been stolen, and was being used to establish fraudulent credit agreements against my name) they gave £160 in (my) cash over the counter to the person in ownership of it! When I spoke to the branch in question, the cashier herself said she remembered that transaction as she "spent a lot time dealing with him at the counter", though apparently never actually looked at his face (unless he is infact my long lost twin brother!), or asked him for a bank card! :mad:
    I am now a happily satisfied customer of NatWest, who I have to say bent over backwards to assist me when I transferred accounts. Too often, we accept poor service. If everyone did vote with their feet, perhaps we'd all benefit from improved customer service.
    P.S. Do we know if the deceased lady is still accruing charges? :rolleyes:
  7. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Absolute madness!!!!