Be part of a brand new brass band ... !

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by madandcrazytromboneguy, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

not so nice comments?? Which are they then??

Surely people are justified in wanting to know that something is a viable and legitimate prospect before they commit??

I personally think that at least posting the date of the first rehearsal gives you a far better chance of getting more bums on seats than you expected on the first night rather than keeping it to yourself and the secret few?

Every success for your project. It's a mammoth one and I don't envy you the work it will take to get it off the ground. Good luck.

2. euphgothgirl

euphgothgirl New Member

hey there,

i hope everything goes great for you, if i lived nearby i would definately join!
    hope you have alot of fun and success

3. euphgothgirl

euphgothgirl New Member

4. Perc-guy

Perc-guy Member

Good luck in your endeavour clive, i hope it all works out and we see halifax brass around the circuit soon.

Adie
    MD Blackley Band

5. 2nd man down

Yeah but surely all it would take is something simple like;

The date of the first rehearsal is set for xxxxx at xxxxxx

Please check this thread on the day in case of any changes.

That was anyone who hasn't yet committed but finds the advertised date acceptable can turn up if they want to.
    Just a thought. Seems sensible to me. :dunno

6. flower girl

flower girl Member

Right. Lets get a few things straight shall we. First of all, where the money has come from has absolutely no concern of any body who is not involved with halifax brass band. However to reassure all of you who for some absurd reason do feel that it is your business, i will infact tell you! It has been donated to the band by myself, it was left to me in a will by a member of my family, so a certain amount of it is now being given to the band. If any of you do not feel this is legitimate then do not hesitate to contact me as i will be more than happy to give you my opinion on this matter. And secondly do not accuse either my self or clive of being either irrational or secretive about this as i have not yet seen anybody else freely broadcasting where the funding for their band has come from. I will not tolerate anybody throwing accusations around without knowing the full details.
    Neither myself or clive appreciate the pm's we have been receiving regarding this issue.

This message is only directed at a select few members of tmp, and we would like to thank the people who have shown us constant support through out the formation of Halifax Brass Band.

tMP EDIT: No need to shout, regardless of how frustrated you are.

7. euphgothgirl

euphgothgirl New Member

wow flower girl you've put some work in to that band i congratulate u!

8. madandcrazytromboneguy

madandcrazytromboneguy Member

(flower girl using madandcrazytromboneguy's log-in)
    Thanks very much. its an ambition of my partners n i wanna help make it work XXXXXXXXX

9. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

OK, time to jump in and clarify a few things re this thread.

Clive and flowergirl.

(1) tMP wishes you the very best of luck with your new band, and commend the time and effort you are both putting into getting it off the ground. However, we have received several complaints - both privately, and here in the thread - about incessant bumping. By all means respond to any questions or issues, but please don't merely reply to anything in a disguised attempt to bump the thread. You risk it being closed if you continue to do so, and we don't want to do that. Please don't argue with any moderators, just simply abide by our friendly rules.
    (2) please do not act as back seat moderators, there's no need for it and it creates the wrong impression... of you, not us!!!!. We have an excellent team here at tMP who are willing to help with any issues. Please simply contact myself or any member of the team via PM with details of any abusive PM's you have received. We won't tolerate this and will act accordingly if found to be the case.

We would like everyone to take into account the wishes of Clive and flowergirl in this thread, so I ask please only post here if you are interested in finding out a little more about the new venture.

Thanks everyone.:tup

10. 2nd man down

I'm sorry, I do sincerely wish you every success with this, but how can people KNOW the FULL details when you won't tell anyone ANY???

John, although I have no interest in joining this band, I do wish it every success and am showing an active interest (and helping to keep the thread live as it happens) by trying to find out a few detail I think that people who do want to join would kind of need to know.

11. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

With the general threads on tmp being about failing bands and dwindling numbers and the Recruitment section being full of ads for new players I think it's great that someone is trying to form a new band.

However I think that it's a bit harsh to slap someone down for asking basic questions about funding etc.

Whilst I agree that the minute details of where funding is coming from is personal, actually stating that there is funding available from a private source or that a grant has been applied for to me is not unreasonable.

If you want to make the band a success you need to sell it and to be honest you're not selling it very well. People haven't been asking questions because they want you to fail (and believe me the majority don't) they want to know how serious this band is going to be and how well organised it's going to be.

Some people will just join without finding out details but a lot more people will want to know everything about the proposed organisation before commiting to it.

People have asked when practices are likely to be and I can't see the problem with saying "Well we hope sometime in November but we'll finalise it" or "Well we may practice once a week on a Wednesday but it depends on what the memebers can make"

If people know funding IS in place for instruments and uniforms etc, no matter from where it comes from, then at least they will take it seriously.

At the moment every answer seems cagey and defensive and it's coming across as a nice idea that won't come off. I hope it comes off so for your own sake, and for all of the hard work you've put in so far, please start selling the band to us and be transparent about how it's going to run. You're more likely to get players in that way.

This isn't an attack on you but just some friendly advice.

12. madandcrazytromboneguy

These are all very valid points roy, which i do agree with. We were just getting very wound up with people asking about funding. I would also like to take this opportunity to say thankyou to every one, because tho some have critisized us, we have taken all opinions into consideration which has helped us see it from other perspectives and because of this we are well on the way to having a complete band.

Thankyou for the support. Clive and Lisa

13. madandcrazytromboneguy

Hi everyone

Just a note to say that unfortunately the forming of Halifax Brass Band is going to be put on hold for a while due to 1 or 2 things that have happened in the last month or so.

Thanks to everyone who has shown an interest in this and i will post on here when we try to form again.

Regards

Clive Morris

14. Melph

Melph Member

I certainly hope there is as much passion in the members of the new band as the amount of passion in these threads....

Halifax is a bit far to commute, do you fancy moving it down south, perhaps Watford?

15. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

Haven't you taken over at Skelmanthorpe B band? Is that why there will be no Halifax? Shame for those you had signed up for the new band, I hope they aren't too dissapointed

16. Steve

Steve Active Member

If that is the case then I suggest confirming it so it cant be speculated on.

17. 2nd man down

dare I suggest that if the reason for the setting up of the band being put back is partly down to lack of interest shown from potential players it may be down to the lack of concise and clear information that was forthcoming?

Shame to see it put on the back burner though, Like Roy said, I hope the people who did commit aren't too disheartened.

18. MattB

MattB Member

Having rebuilt Littleborough Band from near enough from the ground up can i say how difficult I'm sure you've found it Clive, and here's hoping that valuable lessons and experiences have been gained from this initial period.

All the best for the future,

Matt.

19. euphgothgirl

euphgothgirl New Member

its a shame to hear about it! but i hope people specuating can keep there comments to theirselves about the situation.

I hope you get it sorted!

Luv me xx

20. Melph

Melph Member

From reading the posts, i would not say it was "speculation" on the part of people trying to gather information in order to make a desicion on whether to leave one band in order to start with a "NEW" brass band..... that is a daunting move, knowing how funny people can be when musicians leave a band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice