Be cruel to be kind.

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mr N N Fixer, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

You hear some funny stories relating to incidents that take place, sometimes in rehearsals and sometimes on stage, in concerts and in contests.
    I heard a good one the other day about some old guy who's trombone slide ended up half way across the band room. He obviously got a bit too excited about something, or maybe he's just a wee bit past it.
    Is there an optimum time to call it a day ? When is enough enough ? How do you know when when you've lost it ? That's always assuming you had it in the first place! Iv'e come across some fairly thick skinned types over the years who really should know their limitations.
    How do you deal with 'players' who are dead but won't lie down?
    Any thoughts folks?

Bye bye for now,

Mr Fixer

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fixer
    it.Is
    wo
    years
    stage
  3. DS2014

DS2014 Active Member

I believe the received wisdom is to give them a baton

4. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

Good answer, but surely there are enough dodgy conductors about already ? Neither do we need some old coffin dodger collapsing in the middle of a concert. Mind you, it might be a welcome distraction in some concerts.

Bye bye for now,

Mr Fixer.

5. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Strangely Mr N Fixer, I have a feeling you won't be missed :)

~ Mr Wilx

6. yoooff

yoooff Member

Tricky one.

This obviously doesn't apply to me as I'm just as good a player now as I was 40 years ago(????), but I'd certainly hope that someone might suggest to that 'a very skilled and experienced' player like myself could provide a valuable role in mentoring a young player who might (with the proper coaching) be almost as good a player as I am! Especially if I could teach them how to handle the pressure of 'my' end chair.

I have now had my ego suitably massaged, the band has got a younger player into the end chair and I am perceived as having the best interests of the future of the band at heart.

Is that manipulating or managing?

Colin

7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

If I have my way, they'll be prising the instrument from my cold dead hands! :)

8. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

Iv'e got a little list, Mr Fixers on the list. Well he never will be missed! You could write a little song about that Mr Wilx or has it already been done ?

Bye bye for now,

Mr Fixer.

9. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

Ah yes, but you can actually play the thing Mr L.
    I know, because Iv'e heard you! So don't die yet.

Bye bye for now,

Mr Fixer.

10. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Active Member

Put them in a box shurely

Bob

11. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I really like that Robert ~ Natural progression !

Mr Wilx

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Fixer
    it.Is
    wo
    years
    stage
  13. Mr N N Fixer

Mr N N Fixer Member

So long as it's a cardboard box, (in the interests of the environment of course) with room for music, instrument, and walking out uniform.

Mr Fixer.

14. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

Well Mr Fixer, how exactly would you feel if the MD or even the band committee told you that you were obviously past it and a hindrance to the band, will you please leave?
    It might happen one day you know!

15. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I am sure Mr Fixer would be undaunted by such a proposition. Being in a lofty position as he is I am sure that he is well connected, maybe the committee chairman would end up with a horses head in his bed?

16. Cornet Nev.

Cornet Nev. Member

On a similar point of humour Bbmad, considering he has already admitted in another thread that he is not playing at the area's, he may already be similar to me and realised it, so got out before being told. :D

Only conjecture of course and in fun.

17. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

What a great post. You have certainly got the inside info required to make your comments. I applaud you sir. Drink at Blackpool perhaps?

18. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

I could be tempted by that drink. Unfortunately, I have no 'inside information' I just happen to be smarter than the average bear. Even Kim Philby got caught, eventually.

19. The Wizard

The Wizard Member

Yes,he is a sharp cookie without a doubt, but you may just have his measure with your previous post. I hope he can find the time to reflect on his actions and maybe save his soul.

20. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

We shall see, a Dr Who style transformation is likely i expect.

21. marksmith

marksmith Active Member

Some nice suggestions here, guys!
    On a serious note, it is tricky to measure when enough should be enough.
    I thought it at 40, I definitely thought it at 50, and now, as I approach 60, I still question whether I should finally vacate the end chair.
    Anyone who has passed through these age milestones will confirm that a lot of self-evaluation occurs at the beginning of each new decade, from 40 onwards.
    Am I still good enough? Is 'X' waiting for the chair? Does the band still rate me? Do other Euph players still rate me? etc.
    These questions can be so self-destructive and along with the fact that younger players always seem more self-confident, can undermine your confidence.
    Without doubt, you will naturally know when enough is enough and it is time to move aside, or retire from playing.
    Saying that, I thought it (again) three months ago and am now bouncing off the walls through boredom and withdrawal symptoms!!!
    You are never too old to play and if you are still up to the solo seat, stay there and share your experience and enthusiasm with others.
    Retirement? Never!!! ;-)

22. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

:clap::clap::clap:

Although I would be happy to move aside if someone came along who was clearly better than I am. I would never hold the band back because of false pride. We all get old!