BBC Young Soloist Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Roger Thorne, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

BBC launch Young Soloist Contest

BBC Radio 2 launches first ever Young Brass Soloist competition.

On Friday 18 July, Listen To The Band launches BBC Radio 2’s nationwide competition to find the Young Brass Soloist of 2004.

This new competition focuses on up and coming talented young players in the brass band world. Heats will be judged by a panel of experienced adjudicators from the brass band world and in the two final rounds the competitors will be accompanied by the world famous Fodens Richardson and Black Dyke Bands. There will be three radio transmissions on BBC Radio 2 made up of performances from the semi-finals and the finals.

The winner will be given the opportunity to perform as guest soloist at the Gala Concert of the 2004 European Brass Band Championships - the most prestigious contest in the banding calendar, taking place in Glasgow on 1 May 2004.

Al Booth, producer of Listen To The Band who came up with the idea for the competition, says: “There’s a huge wealth of young musical talent within the brass band world and it's these young rising stars who help keep the brass band movement as vibrant and exciting as it is today. This new Young Brass Soloist competition provides BBC Radio 2 the opportunity to recognise and showcase some of the best young musicians in the country.”

The competition is open to all brass players under the age of 21, of Grade 8 or equivalent standard who play regularly with a brass or wind band, or orchestra. The semi-finals will take place on the weekend of 17 and 18 January 2004 at the BBC studios in Manchester. The finals on Saturday 14 February at the Royal Northern College of Music, Manchester.

For further information and an entry form, entrants should call 08700 100 200. Lines are open from 7.30am to midnight and calls are charged at national rate.

Closing date for entries is 30 September 2003. Entrants must be under 21 on 1 January 2004.
    The successful semi-finalists will be informed by 1 November 2003.

Listen To The Band is on BBC Radio 2, Fridays, 9.30-10.00pm

Issued by BBC Birmingham Press Office: 0121 432 9750

25 June 2003
    (courtesy of 4BarsRest)

:wink:

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    wealth
    BBC Radio 2
    Young Soloist Contest
    Listen To The Band
    BBC
  3. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

No fair! Too old by a mere 4 months! :cry: Ah well...

4. tubatu

tubatu Member

Cheers for the info Roger, I'll pass it on to one of my bands cornet players.
    He had his audition for the BBC's Young Musician of the Year last weekend and he's looking for other contests.

5. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

I'm far too old! Tell them to launch a Moderately More Aged Soloist Competition for us under30s!

Rach x

6. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

What about an Absolutely Ancient Soloist Competition for us over 45's?

Incidentally, although it may be Radio 2's first contest specifically for brass band players, let us not forget that Sheona White won their Young Musician's competition a few years back.

7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

u might remember that I leaked this info a while back ;)
    so remember.. you heard it here first ;)

8. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

what about an old gits contest, or middle aged at least.

9. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Yes I read up about this a weeny a while back and think it's great!
    There's plenty of young talent out there- and it's about time more of the Brass Band world was broadcasted on TV and Radio anyway...

Good luck to all who take part! :)