BBC Young Musician of the Year Brass Final 2008

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by Kiz7, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

The BBC Young Musician of the Year Brass Final 2008 takes place on Thursday 21st February 2008 at the Bute Theatre, Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama, Cardiff from 7.30pm

I am taking my daughter, Rhiannon, to support "Pixie Pete" Moore (as they call him in the trombone section at NCBB). Anyone else going?

Good luck Pete, and the other competitiors

2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

"Pixie Pete" eh? Just you wait til you're back at band....

Good luck mate, you can do it!

3. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

Haha - we have pictures too! Pixie Pete it is!

Good luck Pete, you can do it.

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

There was a time when the BBC Young Musician Of The Year used to go out on prime time TV - early evening on BBC1 or BBC2, and not just the section finals - the preliminary rounds as well. All introduced by Humphrey Burton, a man who really knew about music and young people. The grand final was broadcast (almost) live.

It says something about the BBC's attitude to its own event that I (and, I'm sure, many others) was completely unaware that the 2008 event was even happening.

5. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

Good luck Matt! You better win seeing as you're missing a rehearsal :O

;)

6. hicks

hicks Member

Is this being broadcast anywhere? I would have thought one of the BBCx Freeview channels could be used.

7. lauren

lauren Member

If I recall correctly I think last year the section finals were shown on BBC4???? :confused:

8. lauren

lauren Member

Just found this.....

BBC Young Musician of the Year will receive more coverage across the different broadcast platforms than ever before.

Television coverage starts on Sunday, May 4 with a 60 minute documentary on BBC TWO looking back at the history of the Competition, catching up with past winners, finalists and judges and examining the impact that the UK’s most prestigious classical music competition for young people has had on the young musicians themselves.

On Monday, May 5 the Competition moves to BBC FOUR and each night across the week leading up to the Grand Final Weekend, an hour long programme of performance and documentary will follow the competitors as they take part in the Category Finals, each with their sights set on winning a place in the Grand Final.

BBC TWO will host coverage of the Grand Final Weekend in a two hour special, broadcast on Sunday, May 11 just moments after the live event has finished. Viewers will be able to judge the young musicians for themselves as highlights of Saturday’s concerto performance plus all the music, tension and eventual results from earlier that afternoon are shown.

BBC Radio 3 are this year featuring each Category Winner in Afternoon on 3 Monday to Friday, May 5 to 9 May and listeners will be able to hear the concerto performances recorded on Saturday 11 May in Performance on 3 on Monday May 12 from 7.00pm.

All broadcast dates and times are subject to change, please check listings for further information.

9. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

there is definately going to be some coverage of at from the category finals onwards, as we had a tv crew round at band recently.

Good that the final is on Beeb 2 and at a decent time... Lot better exposure than than the usual bbc 76 HD channel at 3.12am

10. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I should hope there is tv coverage of it as I was nearly run down by a large camera wielding bloke with a bright pink BBC shirt on on my way out of the smaller building at college.

Unfortunately I won't be at the brass night, I have a gig. :(

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC Young Musician of the Year Brass Final 2008 The BBC Young Musician of the Year Brass Final
    Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
    Pixie Pete'' Moore
    Pete
    Rhiannon
  12. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Is there a list of finalists anywhere?

13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

14. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As we understand that the BBC has asked for a press embargo on the results, so as not to spoil things for viewers when the broadcasts take place in May, please respect that request, and do not post any such details in this thread.

15. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

is it okay to say what the competitors played and what we enjoyed about the performances providing we don't allude to the result?

16. PeterBale

That shouldn't be a problem ;)

17. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

I take it you see yourselves as members of the press then?

Ooh, must respect what the beeb says mustn't we?

Don't make me laugh..................

You take yourselves way too seriously.

18. PeterBale

If I were tuning in to the May broadcasts leading up to the concerto final, I certainly wouldn't want to be in a position where I already knew who one of the winners was.

19. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

I was at the category finals and I interpreted the BBC's request about the press embargo to include the internet too, so I personally have no problem with not being able to reveal the result. After all, hundreds of thousands of people reading easily accessable pages over the internet is not "telling your nearest and dearest" as the request was worded.

it's a bit frustrating because it would be nice to come out and say well done to the winner but as that's not possible how about just congratulating all 4 competitors on their performances Bayerd?

I particularly liked the Tuba player Henry as he really engaged with the audience and looked like he had a blast and I was amazed (as usual) by Peter Moore's unbelivably mature performance - all completely from memory. All four competitiors should feel very proud of their performances indeed.

Well done to the winner, I am sure that they will go a long way, and who knows, maybe be the BBC Young Musician of the Year 2008 and comiserations to the three remaining finalists - thank you all for a wonderful evenings entertainment and good luck to you all in your future studies.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2008
  20. Madge

Madge New Member

21. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I missed this post Bayerd, sorry.

I guess you need to define what 'members of the press' actually means. As to if we consider ourselves members of the press, well this is not quite the point, others seem to consider us 'press' though whether we like it or not. I regularly receive 'Press Releases' from many people and organisations; from band announcements through to organisations & businesses wanting to get their message out to as many bandspeople as possible. I am on many circulation lists together with other oranisations who also find themselves in the media and the public eye.

Would you consider 4BR 'press'...? if so, why not tMP...?

Personally, I don't consider myself 'Official Press' - as I consider this a subjective issue - I do consider myself part of the 'Media' though, as this is fact. However, what I think isn't what matters, wrt tMP being press or not - it's what those organisations who have a view on tMP think that matters.

As for taking ourselves too seriously... nahh, I can assure you we don't, we just have rules and guidelines that's all - and many don't like being asked to adhere to those rules and guidelines. If I did, I'd be selling out to those who want to take advantage of bandspeople and make shed loads of money off them from such a high-traffic web-based organisation as tMP. I choose to keep tMP the way it always has been thankyou, no delusions of grandeur from me.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC Young Musician of the Year Brass Final 2008 The BBC Young Musician of the Year Brass Final
    Royal Welsh College of Music and Drama
    Pixie Pete'' Moore
    Pete
    Rhiannon