BBC Young Musician 2012 - brass final

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bungle, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Bungle

Bungle Member

Surprised no one has posted a link to this as it was on TV last night.

In the second category final in the series, the spotlight is on five gifted brass competitors - tenor horn player Jonny Bates, trumpeter Ela Young, tuba player Chris Dunn, French horn player Lizzi Tocknell and bass trombonist Alex Kelly. Aged 16 to 18, the finalists go head to head for a place in the semi-final, playing music ranging from Vaughan Williams to Baadsvik's radical tuba show-stopper, Fnugg
  2. hobgoblin

hobgoblin Member

Is this on tv live? If not do 4br do a twitter commentary like they did at butlins?
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

It was not live, but shown on BBC4 yesterday between 1930 and 2100. It is available on iPlayer at present.

The standard was very high, and I was impressed with Master Bates, Chris Dunn the Tubist and Alex Kelly the Bass Tombonist. if you have not seen it then I won't spoil it for you.

In response to the twitter coverage, I would think that a certain individual was too busy playing to tweet ;)
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I enjoyed watching the broadcast, but I do wish they would show more of the actual playing like they used to do in the early years of the competition.
  5. Bungle

Bungle Member

I don't know if you get better sound quality, but it is reapeated today (21st) at 5:30 on BBC HD
  6. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Made the French horn appealing though. Ah, if I was only 43 years younger.
  7. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Agreed with the result.
    Was also left with a great sense of disappointment - not so much about the standard of playing, but the music chosen. We brass players really don't have the same quality of literature that some of our colleagues have.
  8. Cornet Luke

Cornet Luke Member

I thought that some of the music chosen was very poor, especially the trumpet rep.

Fnugg and the Sparke were fantastic though!
  9. Gazabone

Gazabone Member

Yes, there was some terrific playing on show. Agree with the comments about repertoire though but I guess there is pressure to play something that is relatively (or virtually) unknown to most of us, really enjoyed it on iplayer, bravo to the BBC for continuing with the contest when other programs might be perceived as more appealing and "relegated" to Radio 3!
  10. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

And BBC 4 is not relegation? I suppose it may be seen as more cerebral by the 12 poeple that watch the channel, plus me when YMotY and Only Connect are on, but for all that it is hidden away on a not so popular channel ;)
  11. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

I thought the horn player would win too. Purely because of the imaginative programme and fine playing, of course.

Really? Both the Halsey Stevens Sonata and the Enescu Legende are both staples of the repertoire - and the Sonata is an absolute classic. But she was very nervous, obviously.
  12. James Yelland

Quite. I remember when the programme went out in the early evening on weekdays on BBC2 (or was it BBC 1?), all the section finals were covered in depth, and the concerto finale was covered in its entirety on the Sunday evening - live, if my memory serves me right. And it was presented by someone who knew about music and whose interview technique extended beyond "well, how do you feel?"

Sadly, the demographic of the people who appear on the programme - i.e. white and mostly middle class - doesn't suit the BBC's ethos at all. Last night the pancake tosser provided an isolated face saver for them. But it wasn't nearly enough to save the programme from the anonymity of BBC4.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  13. Missy_Gracie

Missy_Gracie Member

Just watching on iPlayer, who on earth is the woman presenting? I can't get over her tone of disgusted disbelief about the tenor horn "it's not really an orchestral instrument" said in tones that suggest that in itself mean all tenor horns ought to be sought out and piled up in our streets and burnt! LMAO.
  14. TrumpetTom

TrumpetTom Member

:O legende is a great piece! I don't really know the others very well but I know Ela, so heard her do them before the contest the whole way through and it was a fairly balenced programme of 3 contrasting pieces, which showed off a wide spectrum of what she can do.
  15. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

If it's not an orchestral instrument, the BBC will dumb it down. How can they, when they are dumbing themselves down!
  16. pbirch

pbirch Member

I wonder if the competition has reached a peak, these young players can't continue to improve exponentially, and I suspect that they will get all the technical tricks and the notes, but miss out on the music. I do, however, admire their dedication and obvious skill, and find it ever so slightly scary just how good these players are.
  17. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree there - one appealing feature of this competition is that the judges tend not be quite so dazzled by outstanding virtuosity and are looking for genuine musical understanding and empathy. So a performance filled with audience-wowing technical fireworks can still quite easily lose out to a subtler performance filled with musical nuance and shape.

BBC4 is fair enough - it's better than it disappearing from our screens althogether. It's a shame that the Beeb have felt the need to try to turn this into some sort of reality show, though, and Clemency Burton-Hill's habit of talking over the first few bars of every performance was making me chew the table in annoyance.
  18. James Yelland

Is that who she was? Is she by any chance related to Humphrey Burton, the original presenter of this programme?
  19. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes. Bit of a renaissance woman, by all accounts - journalist, broadcaster, published author, film and TV actress, plus she was at the RCM and played in Barenboim's West-Eastern Divan Orchestra. Which makes me think she ought to know better than to be yakking on after the players have started.