BBC to do conductor's reality show

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Bayerd, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

2. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

As if we would expect anything different from them
  3. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Careful, a man in your position may end up being conducted by them!
  4. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Glad my licence fee is being put to make quality programmes......

Load of ******** if you ask me
  5. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Woooah, how come Duncan's post is AFTER the one that quoted it???:confused:

It's all gone a bit "Twilight Zone" on tMP......;)

I have to say that there are definitely a few orchestral conductors doing the rounds that should feel threatened by the concept of a few "slebs" being given a baton. I can certainly remember members of the SCO and the Halle being less than complimentary about quite a few of the carvers that stood in front of them.
  6. Owen S

Owen S Member

7. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

There were a few time/clock issues on the server last night and when I reset the server time it messed with the times peoples posts were shown in the threads!

Looked weird I agree.... sorry. All sorted now though.
  8. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

So I can't claim that I knew what he was going to write then?;)
  9. Anno Draconis

I'd love to know what the format of this is going to be.....

"Tonight, Matthew, I'm going to be..... Otto Klemperer"

and H from Steps disappears, reappearing in a cloud of smoke as a doddery, ascerbic, slightly nutty German renowned for Beethoven and Mahler performances.....:rolleyes:
  10. Bass Trumpet

I think you have a pretty good idea of my opinions! Strangely enough, I find myself watching 'One Foot in the Grave' nowadays and I'm in complete sympathy with Victor Meldrew. Am I turning into an old trump?
  11. Simon_Horn

Simon_Horn Member

We should lobby them to include a band I think! I've emailed the BBC through thier website to find the name of the producer. I think we could make a great case for a brass band reality show rather than orchestra!
  12. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

What a load rubbish it will be. It will be the same old "dumbing down" propaganda, the basic message being, "Look!!! its easy!!! any old fool can do it"...and of course, based on what the show chooses to show this will appear to be true.

Exactly the same lies can be used to show how "easy" just about any occupation is. I have a friend who is a surgeon, and he assures me he could teach me how to remove an appendix in half an hour, and he is probably right, but as he rightly points out, how would I know the patient had a ruptured appendix in the first place and what would i do if the "routine" operation went wrong?.....the answer of course is I would not have a clue, and that is why he has spent so many years of intense study to reach the top of his profession.

The same applies to being an MD, as we all know, any fool can parrot the actions of a conductor given enough time, and we all know that these "celebs" would run crying for their mummies if simply left to take a band rehearsal for two hours.

A few years back there was another of these programmes but with the opposite agenda. A young cellist was given the arduous task of becoming a night club DJ. She was patronised and humlliated by the "expert" DJ who was going to show her how "skilled" the whole business was.

Not surprisingly the cellist worked out the whole thing in a very short space of time, much to the embarrassment of the DJ !!

Also, not surprisingly there was no mention of a "return leg" with the DJ learning the cello!!!
  13. Bass Trumpet

Nail. Head.:clap:
  14. Anno Draconis

Now I think about it, there was a similar "fish out of water" type programme about teaching someone to conduct an orchestra. I think the guy in question was in a rock band or something, but couldn't read music. They got an orchestral conductor (Nicholas Kraemer, I think, who really should have known better) literally to teach him the arm movements - no attempt to discuss interpretation or anything like that - so that he could conduct one performance, without rehearsal, in front of a jury of "experts".

Needless to say, the whole exercise was entirely vacuous and pointless. If the guy in question had actually learned anything about the intricacies of orchestral conducting and discovered a previously latent love of orchestral music, I could perhaps see the point.
  15. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Now that is the best post off Shaggy I've ever had the priviledge of reading :clap:
  16. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

"Faking it" wasn't it? What was enlightening was that of the panel of three experts only one picked him as the fake, when compared to two conducting students from university.

Should we sign them up as adjudicators? :rolleyes:
  17. Anno Draconis

Ah, yes, "Faking It" - well remembered.

What was even more enlightening was that two conducting students were less convincing as orchestral conductors than the guy off the street who couldn't even read music! Doesn't say much for university conducting courses!
  18. Shaggy

Shaggy New Member

Thanks for the kinds words KMJ and Bass trumpet!

I also saw the "Faking it" programme mentioned above but my argument still stands. Yes the lad (an unemployed "punk") did win the "contest" against the two music students, and yes he did parrot the experts instructions very well, but what did it prove?

Had all three "contestants" been given a score to perform with no advance warning of what it was, we all know what the result would have been....a punk rocker with his trousers round his ankles.
  19. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Not disagreeing with you, Shaggy, not at all.
  20. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

Why? This show is surely about the "conductor", not the orchestra!