BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2009

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by johnmartin, Nov 4, 2008.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Well, its nearly that time of year again. In my opinion there are only three plausible candidates.

3) Andy Murray. Reached his first grand slam final and won a few ranking events. Will close the year with a world ranking of 4. He has developed into a true contender this year and his success can only be good for British tennis.

2) Chris Hoy. Won three gold medals in Bejing.

1) Lewis Hamilton. The youngest ever F1 world champion. His success from humble beginnings is a source of much pride for the British public.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year
    British
    F1
    Andy Murray
    Lewis Hamilton
  3. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Surely it should be Chris Hoy. Yes, there have been some other fantastic sporting achievements this year, but to totally dominate your sport for so long, and to win 3 golds at the Olympics is an outstanding achievement (unless you are an American swimmer!).

You have to feel slightly sorry for Andy Murray who has had a breakout year, but will be eclipsed by the events of Team GB.

Anyway, I don't care particularly as long as it is anyone but Lewis Hamilton, who is an obnoxious Swiss-wannabe. I can't stand the guy. I'll openly admit that I was routing for Massa at the weekend (and I gave up watching F1 several years ago).

4. DannyCollin

DannyCollin Member

Team of the Year has to be Barnsley FC for the amazing FA cup run. Beating Liverpool at anfield 2-1 then following it up by beating Chelsea 1-0 in the next round.

Up the Reds

5. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Doubt that very much. Either TeamGB for 19 Gold medals or Man U, champions of Europe again.

6. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I reckon the "cycling" team all under the amazing leadership of Dave Brailsford should get the team award.

7. hicks

hicks Member

As this is a UK sports personality award, I think the fact that Hamilton chooses to live outside the UK as a tax exile goes against him, so Hoy gets my vote.

8. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Yeah, and Greg Rusedski and Lennox Lewis were 100% brits too weren't they. :)

Hamilton deserves it. He has acheived so much in a sport which does not offer much opportunity for participants from his background. His acheivement is on a par with the groundbreaking Masters win of Tiger Woods.

9. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

I'm not sure I agree with you John. He was hand-picked by Ron Dennis and given the support of the McLaren organisation from an early age. He has been groomed for the seat for a number of years. I won't argue that that's wrong, since it happens in so many sports now, but I certainly wouldn't class this as a groundbreaking result.

10. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

Chris Hoy. Or possibly Ben Ainslie would get my vote, 3 golds in a row, and can only compete in one event each Olympics. Olympic team or just the Cyclists for the team award.

11. hicks

hicks Member

But Hamilton is always talking about how his Family had to make sacrifices and not having any money when he was younger. If that's true then the lad's done well to get where he is today. There's no doubt that this sport revolves around money, and drivers are often strugglilng for sponsorship. He's undoubtedly got where he is purely on talent, and that should be recognised.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year
    British
    F1
    Andy Murray
    Lewis Hamilton
  13. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Fear not, it will be ;)
    I think with the timing he's a bit of a shoe in (as opposed to Schu in) for the title.
    Personally I would vote for Chris Hoy but have no probs with any of the other main candidates winning it :cool:

14. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

As I understand it, his dad was an IT contractor. He was also signed to the McLaren / Mercedes-Benz to their Young Driver Support Programme in 1998. He has done well, there is no denying it, but there is also denying the fact that McLaren have supported and aided his developement for the last ten years.

15. hicks

hicks Member

True, but I doubt whether Ron Dennis would have invested all that time and effort in him if he didn't have the talent.
    Ok I'm starting to think they weren't living in poverty if his Dad was contracting. They get paid obscene amounts of cash.

16. StellaJohnson

StellaJohnson Active Member

I want Hamilton to win it. (But I am a F1 fan)

But its Olympic year and GB won the most medals for Gud knows how many years, It will probably be Chris Hoy or that swimmer (I forget her name). Not taking anything away from our Olympic Heros it was only 2 weeks of the year, thats why i want Hamilton to win as his achievement was consistant performance for the whole duration of the year.

In my opinion Andy Murray really needs to win a Grand Slam to ever be in contention.

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Rebecca Adlington? I would personally want to see Chris Hoy win the award. First time any UK sportsperson has won 3 Olympic gold medals for 100 years.

18. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

I wouldn't mind Hoy or Hamilton winning it. If Hamilton is a 'swiss-wannabe' then Andy 'I've got a Scot-American Accent' Murray should be discounted as well. Plus he's an obnoxious little pillock.

the team? No doubt in my mind - the Cyclists who blew everyone else away at the olympics. I have never seen the Aussies as narked as that, and long may it continue!!!

19. hicks

hicks Member

Seconded, outstanding performance there. In fact let's nominate the whole GB team. It was so funny seeing the Aussie reaction to the results :)

20. yorkie19

yorkie19 Active Member

Andy Murray has never said that he wants to live in Switzerland because of the obtrussive media. He is an annoying little pillock at times, but he is also passionate about his country, whereas Hamilton couldn't wait to get out of here this time last year.

21. The Wherryman

The Wherryman Active Member

Obnoxious = disgustingly objectionable.
    Pillock = idiot.

Whatever has he done to deserve such description?

I hear he speaks very highly of you :rolleyes:

22. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

you're saying that if you were famous, and in a position to move out of the country to somewhere with no tax and little media intrusion you would stay here???!!!!

you're nuts.