BBC Radio Cymru Band Contest

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Colin Hogg, Jun 10, 2006.

1. Colin Hogg

Colin Hogg Member

Good luck to all the bands who are recording today (Sat 10th June), for the Radio Wales Band Contest. If any one knows when they will be broadcasting the heats, please could you post them.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Radio Wales Band Contest
    BBC Radio Cymru Band
    June
    luck
  3. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

Thanks for the good luck albeit two days late for us. We were pretty pleased with the way things went, although it was extremely hot and most of the chairs squeaked if you moved a muscle.

Which bands are taking part? We (Parc and Dare) were preceded by Mid Rhondda and followed by BTM but I suspect there may ber more than three bands participating.

4. Deano

Deano Member

From what I can gather, it's all last years championship section bands plus the bands that came first and second in the 1st section at Swansea in 2005 ( Parc & Dare & Wrexham).

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

When's it being broadcast? and is it on Radio Wales or Radio Cymru - I've heard both being mentioned, so it may well be on both?

6. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

It is a Radio Cymru competition I think the North Wales recording session was planned for 24th June ( same weekend as our tour of Cornwall) so we are not doing the Welsh Band of the Year competition for this year.

7. stotty74

stotty74 Member

Northop have been invited. We were told we were a reserve band and were asked because Beaumaris couldn't do it, but our recording is 2nd July. Wrexham are recording earlier in the day aswell.

8. cwmamanbird

cwmamanbird Member

Cwmaman are recording on 25th June

9. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

Tongwynlais are recording on the 25th too.
    Do we find out whether we're in the next round before the broadcast?
    So starts with 12 bands then ................. what happens then?

10. stotty74

stotty74 Member

I don't think the broadcasts begin until September, and as we have had a provisional date for the second round of mid-september, i think anyone who gets through should know sometime in late July/August.

Trying to remember how it works, i think the top 6 go through to the second round, with the top 3 from that playing in a live final in November. Not got all the details with me, but i'm sure it's something like that anyway.

Does anyone know if you can access these stations on the net, as with no reception of either Radio Cymru or Radio Wales i'm going to miss the broadcasts!! I'm sure some others would like to hear the competition aswell.

11. dyl

dyl Active Member

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Radio Wales Band Contest
    BBC Radio Cymru Band
    June
    luck
  13. Mr_Euniverse

Mr_Euniverse Member

103.9FM From here if that helps. You can also get it via freeview if that helps. You can also ask someone to tape it if that helps. You can also not bother listening to it then wait for the results..... if that helps!

14. alexandria

alexandria Member

Radio Contest

We will know the results on the 18th July. The contest will not be broadcasted until October. By this time Round 2 would of taken place (30th sept - South Wales bands) Six go through from Round 1 and then 3 bands go through to the final from Round 2.

The next round will consist of a 14-16 minute programme with a small set piece in it and I believe that the final will involve playing a 25 minute programme with a new commission.

The final will be on November 25th.

15. tubaturk

tubaturk Member

I've heard a rumour that the final will take place at St David's Hall in Cardiff - has anyone else heard the same?

16. SuperHorn

SuperHorn Member

After recording for this competition on 25/06/06 I thought it was a brilliantly thought out idea and very well organised. Bravo to all associations of Wales, Phillip Morris and Radio Wales for putting on a brilliant day. Long live this contest.

Moving in the right direction? I hope However, next time I hope lower section bands could get involved. Prize money of £9000 up for grabs, I'm sure they scope that prize can be reduced and introduce a second tier of contesting to involve more bands.

17. cwmamanbird

cwmamanbird Member

The rumour I heard that the final was going to be held in a theatre in Port Talbot?

18. alexandria

alexandria Member

BBC Wales

It is been in Barry Memorial Hall before now, so that good be a strong possibility. Has anyone had their recordings back yet?

19. tubaturk

tubaturk Member

ah well, not quite te same ring to it.

I wonder if it'll be at the Afan Lido then - I know that S4C held the final of Wawffactor! (the Welsh equivalent of X-Factor) there, so it does sound plausible.

20. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

The rumour that I heard was that it would be the Princess theatre in Port Talbot.

A nice theatre but, speaking from experience, acoustically awful for bands.

21. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

I heard the final is in Rhyl pavillion theatre..wouldn't that be funny... :)
    also I hope the organisers have addressed the alleged transfer irregularities for day transfering players...

22. Deano

Deano Member

What irregularities? Lets hear more.

Bands can borrow upto 3 players, whose been naughty then?