BBC Radio 3's Musical Map of Britain

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WorldofBrass.com, Apr 23, 2013.

1. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

In February 2013, BBC Radio 3 embarked on an ambitious project to map musical Britain; http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/radio3/posts/Radio-3s-Musical-Map-of-Britain.

In recent weeks, BBC Radio 3 has been asking for information with which to adorn its musical map to create a living picture of Britain's rich musical heritage. It has also been asking for specific music suggestions which can be played on Radio 3 Breakfast.

Categories so far have included Choral Music, Baroque, Sea and Coast.

Now, it's the turn of brass bands!
    If you want to get brass bands on the map (literally!) and want to hear brass band music on BBC Radio 3 Breakfast, this is your chance!

I have it on good authority that Cloudcatcher Fells will be featured next week so we're looking at the more serious side of the repertoire, preferably original works and ideally linked to a particular place in Britain.

Is your band on the map yet? Bands on the BBC map so far include Brighouse and Rastrick, Flowers, Hammonds Saltaire, Hitchin, Marsden and The International Staff Band of The Salvation Army.
    Brass band 'pins' are also on the map for Malcolm Arnold, Judith Bingham, Wilfred Heaton and A Download Suite.

It's not often that a national broadcaster offers this opportunity to feature brass band music so I hope that tMPers will get behind this project and spread the word.

Let’s get mapping Brass Band Britain!

Email; 3breakfast@bbc.co.uk
    Text; 83111
    Tweet; @BBCRadio3 #musicalmap
    Write; BBC Radio 3 Breakfast, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA.

2. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

3. WorldofBrass.com

A good idea but I think that they are looking for interaction with listeners rather than a link to someone elses map, no matter how comprehensive it is.

4. WorldofBrass.com

This morning on BBC Radio 3 Breakfast, Pretroc Trelawny announced that brass bands will be heard on the show from next Monday (29th April).

There are plenty of band specific pins on the Musical Map of Britain although none yet in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Radio 3 still wants to hear of particular brass band works, that can be played on air, which are associated with particular places in Britain. They may even ask you to introduce your suggestion live on air!

This is a golden opportunity to obtain valuable airtime on national radio for our particular genre of music so let's not waste it!

Text; 83111
    Write; BBC Radio 3 Breakfast, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA.

5. WorldofBrass.com

BBC Radio 3 Breakfast kicked off it brass band feature this morning, in connection with its Musical Map of Britain, with the march "Deeds of Valour" (Bramwell Coles) played by The International Staff Band of The Salvation Army conducted by Stephen Cobb.

This was followed, 20 minutes later, by an interview with Kirsty Watts representing the Kirkbymoorside Town Brass Band and the band's playing of "Farndale" (Harold Dobson).

Listen here from 44 minutes; http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01s32ml

Radio 3 still wants to hear of brass band works that can be played on air, which are associated with particular places in Britain. They may even ask you to introduce your suggestion live on air!

This is a golden opportunity to obtain valuable airtime on national radio for our particular genre of music so let's not waste it!

Text; 83111

6. carlwoodman

carlwoodman Member

I was grateful for the opportunity to introduce the fourth movement of Karl Jenkins' Euphonium Concerto live on BBC Radio 3 Breakfast this morning, even though the presenter got my surname wrong initially. Thankfully he got it right in his two subsequent attempts!

7. WorldofBrass.com

This was followed, about an hour later, by Grimethorpe Colliery Band playing the march from Gustav Holst's A Moorside Suite.

I wonder who will be interviewed tomorrow and what they have chosen!

8. WorldofBrass.com

No one was interviewed for the brass band tracks this morning but the music aired was Elegy from A Downland Suite (John Ireland) played by London Brass Virtuosi and Relaxation from Salute to Youth (Gilbert Vinter) played by the Black Dyke Mills Band of the mid-1980s conducted by Major Peter Parkes which, in 1985, was an unbeaten combination.

9. WorldofBrass.com

Today, Radio 3 Breakfast broadcast Siciliano from Little Suite No.1 (Malcolm Arnold) played by Grimethorpe Colliery Band and Variations for Brass Band (Ralph Vaughan Williams) played by Williams Fairey Band.

No Downie, Graham, Gregson, Sparke, Wilby et al yet, what suggestions have tMP members made to BBC Radio 3 so far?

10. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Looking at the map, there have been lots of suggestions, but it's mainly people nominating their own bands. I know we like to be parochial in banding, but try and look at the bigger picture, folks - I'm sure they like to hear about the local village band but they're unlikely to play anything by them. To get music played, people need to nominate actual pieces associated with bands or places. I've nominated Royal Border Bridge by Arthur Butterworth associated with Berwick-upon-Tweed, and In Pitch Black by Lucy Pankhurst (associated with Westhoughton and Wingates Band in particular).

I would have nominated Cloudcatcher Fells but someone's beaten me to it - however at about 17 minutes there's not much chance of it being played!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC Radio 3
    Musical Map of Britain Towards
    Yorkshire Building Society Band
    Breakfast
    European Brass Band Championships
  12. WorldofBrass.com

If someone from Wingates Band would care to send a copy of Perpectives of Pretoria to Hannah Norbury, Room 1015, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA that would certainly help.

Royal Border Bridge appears on Virtuosi Brass Band of Great Britain Vol. 2 on the Kirklees label. I'm not sure if Kirklees Music would have any left but I'll ask the question.

13. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

The entire suite - "Three Impressions for Brass Band" - is also on "Butterworth" by Black Dyke (Royal Border Bridge is the final movement).
    Other possibilities come to mind with George Marshall's "Great and Glorious"; Norman Bearcroft's "The Sound of Britain" (both by Household Troops) and "Men of Harlech" (Cory).

14. WorldofBrass.com

Thanks John, that's why I couldn't find it. Our track list database doesn't list the three separate movements.

15. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

You're welcome. How about "Norwich Anthem" from Blessing & Honor - Norwich Citadel Band; and "Fisherman's Walk" - Boscombe (I only have an old recording digitized from an LP but someone might have a more recent one).

16. WorldofBrass.com

This morning, Petroc Trelawny introduced Montreal Citadel (Norman Audoire) played by the Household Troops Band from the album, Blue Book Favourites and Meeting the Moose from 'The Ogre' (Michael Nyman) played by Wingates Band from the album, Nyman Brass.

In addition, we were treated to the Romanza (2nd movement) of Vaughan Williams' Tuba Concerto played by Patrick Harrild accompanied by the London Symphony Orchestra.

Keep sending your music suggestions (preferably works that have a particular connection with a place in Britain) to;
    Text; 83111
    Write; BBC Radio 3 Breakfast, Room 1015, Broadcasting House, Portland Place, London W1A 1AA.

Just think of all the marches that have place names in their titles!
    Send those suggestions in, particularly if there is a personal connection that you can mention, and you may even be asked to introduce your suggestion live on BBC Radio 3 Breakfast!

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I know it may be a little too "brass bandy" to appear on the program, but I have emailed requesting to hear Pandora as played by Jim Shepherd in connection with my home town and band of Newbiggin. Probably the finest recording of a cornet solo, by the finest exponent of the instrument.

18. WorldofBrass.com

This morning, Martin Handley played Family Portraits from Philip Wilby's The Lowry Sketchbook in a recording on the Sacred Symphonies album by Black Dyke (Mills) Band conducted by James Watson. This was as a result of a request from Keith Donaghue who asked a pin for the band's bandroom, BD13 1AB.

19. WorldofBrass.com

Ceri Parry Morgan had his suggestion played this morning, Mist of the Afan Forest from, appropriately, Brass Triumphant (Gareth Wood) and the album Triumphant Brass.

I say appropriately because the recording was by the new European Brass Band Champions, Cory Band, and Ceri was in Oslo at the weekend to hear them regain the crown.

20. WorldofBrass.com

This morning on BBC Radio 3 Breakast, Petroc Trelawny chatted to Philip Harper about Cory Band's victory at the European Brass Band Championships, in an interview which was planned prior to the weekend, before playing T J Powell's march The Bombardier from Cory in Concert Volume III.

Later in the programme, The Severn Suite (Edward Elgar) was featured in a recording by Williams Fairey Band conducted by James Gourlay.

21. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Just caught the end of Comedy Overture. I remember playing that at the areas a couple of years ago.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC Radio 3
    Musical Map of Britain Towards
    Yorkshire Building Society Band
    Breakfast
    European Brass Band Championships