BBC Radio 2 - Listen to the band has been axed :(

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GrowlingDog, Jan 10, 2018.

1. GrowlingDog

GrowlingDog New Member

Just seen on the BBC website that Listen to the Band is being taken off the air.

Thats one of my weekly regulars.

2. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Sad news for brass band fans, but understandable.

3. Fettler

Fettler Member

Good. Long past its glory days of a live studio recording of a good band every week. Lately more of a CD review/talkshow. Shame, as frank Renton is a great presenter and I'm sure would gave preferred the old format.

PeterBale and 4th Cornet like this.
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree. There were some cracking live broadcasts over the years. One by Grimethorpe stands out that included a performance of Comedy; another by the ISB in December 1979. Pity they were never made permanently available.

5. rootertooter

rootertooter New Member

Was inevitable

6. Fettler

Fettler Member

Now gone from the thin end of the wedge to the thick end. Hard to believe that as recently as the late 80's/early 90's there was the serious midweek bandstand slot on r3 with really good bands playing a couple of test pieces or commissions and lttb recorded every Tuesday for the Friday broadcast. If it wasn't for Paul hindmarsh and Frank Renton I think bands would've been gone from the airwaves completely.

7. Repman

Repman Member

There appears to be a 2 hour show on radio Leeds Sundays 1-3pm, I plan to listen to the podcast before I rush to judgment

8. Sue Hooper

Sue Hooper New Member

As a registered blind person who has myself played in a number of brass bands, I always look forward to hearing Frank Renton on a Tuesday night. This programme is a great way for me to keep in touch with things that are currently going on in the banding world. If it is to be axed, I think this would be a great shame, and another nail in the coffin for the variety and scope that Radio 2 has always prided itself in. Along with Nigel Ogden's The Organist Entertains, these programmes are two little gems, in my radio listening week.

phildriscoll likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice