BBC Radio 2 - Listen to the band has been axed :(

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by GrowlingDog, Jan 10, 2018.

1. GrowlingDog

GrowlingDog New Member

Just seen on the BBC website that Listen to the Band is being taken off the air.

Thats one of my weekly regulars.

2. 4th Cornet

4th Cornet Active Member

Sad news for brass band fans, but understandable.

3. Fettler

Fettler Member

Good. Long past its glory days of a live studio recording of a good band every week. Lately more of a CD review/talkshow. Shame, as frank Renton is a great presenter and I'm sure would gave preferred the old format.

PeterBale and 4th Cornet like this.
  4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I agree. There were some cracking live broadcasts over the years. One by Grimethorpe stands out that included a performance of Comedy; another by the ISB in December 1979. Pity they were never made permanently available.

5. rootertooter

rootertooter New Member

Was inevitable

6. Fettler

Fettler Member

Now gone from the thin end of the wedge to the thick end. Hard to believe that as recently as the late 80's/early 90's there was the serious midweek bandstand slot on r3 with really good bands playing a couple of test pieces or commissions and lttb recorded every Tuesday for the Friday broadcast. If it wasn't for Paul hindmarsh and Frank Renton I think bands would've been gone from the airwaves completely.

7. Repman

Repman New Member

There appears to be a 2 hour show on radio Leeds Sundays 1-3pm, I plan to listen to the podcast before I rush to judgment