BBC Proms 2008

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by simonbassbone, Aug 24, 2008.

1. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Anybody been to anything yet this year?
    Managed my first of the season on Friday night. Mahler 5, Stockhausen "Puntke" some Schubert and Beethovens Overture Leonore No3. All for £5.

So who's heard what this year?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBC
    Leonore No3
    Mahler 5
    Stockhausen ``Puntke
    Schubert
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I've done two so far; the first night and the 15th (Janacek Sinfonietta). Planets on the 10th Sept to look forward to. I was asked to do the Stockhausen Gruppen, but I was on holiday. Gutted about that one, as Gruppen comes up once every 20 years or so!

I've noticed I very nice atmosphere this year, especially as the BBCSO are tending to frequent the Imperial College bar, as opposed to the 99s. The stage is still that awful mottled blue, though. Looks like the local pre-school have been in doing potato paiting. Strange, as they revert to the old burgundy for the rest of the year. Something to do with the camera I think.

I've just discovered BBC's iPlayer. Great to catch up on any I've missed.

4. umchacha56k

umchacha56k Member

ive not been to any this year i went to one last year

i just wanted to say what did everyone think of NYO's performance the other night personally i was blown away.

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you mean the concert that was broadcast on Saturday I found it strangely subdued, without the extra bit of excitement you often find with the NYO. The Varese is a great, exuberant celebration, and for me it seemed to fall a bit flat.

(Mind you, I felt much the same about the Janacek "Sinfonietta", and I'm not yet convinced that Boulez is quite right for Janacek.)

6. Bass Trumpet

Agree 100%, and I was playing. However, I'll be glad if I'm half as bright as that when I'm 85! Some of his tempi were very dubious, and I speak as someone who's played the piece more often than I can remember. Although it has to be said that whatever Boulez does, he does it with the upmost of sincerity and respect to the music.

I'm looking forward to tonight's concert on BBC4. RPO with Gatti - always an explosive mix, as the orchestra and conductor hate each others' guts!

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Quite enjoyed this, as Tchaik 5 is one of my favourites. However, did Gatti have somewhere to go? A table booked for 9.30 perhaps? Wanted to catch QI on Dave? Or did he just need "The Key to the S**thouse"? Blimey, there were some brisk tempi on show. :eek:

8. Bass Trumpet

Nope, he's always like that!