BBC Proms 2007

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by brassneck, Jul 13, 2007.

1. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Yeah ... starting off with one of my all time favourites ... Walton's Portsmouth Point overture --- :p

hint ... defo a 'bandy' piece
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2007
  2. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was sorry to miss the Walton, but very much enjoyed the Elgar cello concerto. Choral symphony was well performed, but a little too refined for my tastes - I tend to prefer a little roughness and edginess to remind you what an innovative work it was!
  3. postie

postie Member

Well the big day is two weeks tomorrow the 28th of July for the Brass day at the Proms. Something to look forward too.
  4. PeterBale

Got my ticket for the afternoon, but not quite sure whether to stay for the evening yet due to a clash of dates :-?
  5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Any idea if it will be broadcast on the radio? If so, which channel?
  6. PeterBale

According to the Proms website, every prom is being broadcast live on Radio 3. Neither of the brass proms are listed for telvision, though :(
  7. Morghoven

Morghoven Member

But how would you televise the second one with the new commission in it? Effectively it's performed "in the round" from what I understand, and whereas I'm sure it will be amazing to be there I don't really see how it could be transferred successfully to TV, visually or aurally. Some things simply have to be experienced live.

I can't deny the extra TV publicity would have been welcome for brass playing - but before we all get on our high horses about BBC bias again, let's not forget that most Proms concerts aren't televised!
  8. PeterBale

Fair point, but then they don't often broadcast the whole of a Prom on tv, apart from the live relays, and the other items would have been good to see as well as hear. Again according to the webiste, some 26 or so out of 72 concerts are going out on tv in some form or other.
  9. Veri

Veri Member

I'm really excited about the Brass Massive, and about the matinee - Grimethorpe and Black Dyke playing what seems to be a great selection of music. I've never been to the Proms before, and only to the RAH twice.
  10. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Looking forward to the brass day. I've got tickets for both afternoon and evening with the girlfriend so should be a good day out!
  11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Here is the official BBC press release regarding the brass day on Saturday 25th July.
  12. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

did anyone see the proms last night. It was awesome. The kids from Africa were just brilliant. Have never really listened to Rameau (spelling) before and the thought of dancers nearly made me turn over but glad I stuck with it. The kids from Africa have only been playing for a few years, started through Buskaid really really enjoyed it :clap:
  13. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Can I be slightly cheeky and recommend one I'm in? Check out the 12th August. Concert performance of Wagner's epic opera 'Gotterdammerung'. Full cast of stars, BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Donald Runnicles (chief conductor, San Francisco Opera). Unlike a lot of concert performances, they are doing it with the four off-stage streerhorns played from up in the gallery. Should be quite a spectacle. Sadly, not on the telly, but broadcast live on R3.
  14. PeterBale

Just to confirm a change of plans: following a call from my Dad to say he was coming down for the evening concert, tickets now in hand for both events for a Bale family outing ;)
  15. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Yes I did; not normally my thing but the missus insisted we watch it because of the Rameau, and it was ace - the best classical music programme I've seen in a decade.

The thing is, Rameau's music was meant to be danced to, in it's original context. All they did (and John E-G is great at this) is put it back into it's original context, but it made for great entertainment.
  16. floral_dance

floral_dance Member

It's great when you don't expect much from a programme and it turns out to be brilliant now watching everything on the proms just in case I miss something, can always turn off if I don't like it, but think Sunday's programme will be hard to beat
  17. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

Ist Prom of the season on Saturday, took my daughters to the Blue Peter Prom...always good fun. Going to both afternoon and evening of the Brass day next week and have a few others pencilled in. Will try to catch at least one Mahler symphony.
  18. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Bit worried about getting to the prom this weekend now. Hopefully the train from Coventry will be ok, but the girlfriend's travelling from Cardiff so I don't know what the chances of her getting through are.
  19. Veri

Veri Member

Yeah, me too. No trains out of Oxford at the moment - shouldn't have been so organisd and bought a ticket. Ah well, I suppose I can get the bus, but it's not so nice and takes much longer.
  20. stephen_clapton

stephen_clapton New Member

Booked my tickets yesterday for the afternoon concert. Should be a good day out!