BBC Fame Academy bursaries - Well done Dan!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by WoodenFlugel, Mar 21, 2004.

1. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

I've been dying to post this for weeks now, but I've been sworn to secrecy. :wink:

For anyone who wasn't watching BBC1 after the Rugby this afternoon there was a Fame Academy programme which featured Wigston's very own Solo Horn, Daniel Powell. The programme featured 20 short-listed musicians from all over the country and from all areas of music, battling to win one of five bursaries.

After several tests (and some strange comments from Andi Peters!) my "partner in crime" for the last four-odd years, Daniel won though. :D :D :D

So I'd just like to say from all at Wigston and me in particular - GO DAN!!! We're really proud of you! :lol: :lol:
  2. alanl58

alanl58 Member

Yes congratulations - and didn't he play well?

Interesting to note that there were no "Pop Idol" singers or guitarists in the last ten, and that the five chosen had a wide range of musical tastes, from Rap to classics to folk to brass.

Methinks they chose well, and it will be an interesting follow up programme in a few years time to see how the Bursaries changed their lives...

Alan Lafferty
  3. Vickitorious

Vickitorious Active Member

Woooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooooo GO DAN!!!! I watched it this afternoon and cheered as he won! lol! :lol:
  4. Di

Di Active Member

Congratulations Daniel.

Now how many crates of beer will that buy? :guiness :guiness
  5. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

Another product of the YB2K machine I think... well done Dan!
  6. Phoenixhorn

Phoenixhorn Member

I saw that aswell and i thought he was a great performer and truly deserved to win the money.
  7. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

:D i only realised he was on when ben txt me sayin feckin ell Powell's on telly! so I only caught the awards bit, but il assume he played well as always :) well done danny, and the pints are blatently on you unless your mum is reading. :wink:
  8. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

I saw it too and thought he played very well and deserved to get the money. Well done!

9. how much money was it?
  10. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

According to it was £40,000 :wink:

(Duplicate post removed, PB, Mod)
  11. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

i didnt see it :( or the rugby for that matter anyon know if theres any repeats on and wot time and channel theyre on?? and yes i have sky so any channel is cool
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to be pedantic but I think its actually £12k a year for 3 years so £36,000 total. (Typical press - exaggerate everthing! :wink: )

From what was shown on the telly he did play a absolute blinder, but then I'm stuggling to think of the last time Dan had a bad practice, let alone a bad concert or solo performance. After he came back a few weeks ago I asked him how did he play and he replied "oh, alright I suppose. I mucked up the cadenza in Capriccio Brilliante though"

"mucked up how?" Said I

"I split the top D"

Not one for self-promotion is our Dan.......
  13. tim

tim Member

Congratulations to him!!! I would also like to congratulate Daniel Allinson who was one of marimba players and who was shown in very bad light by the bbc!!! I can confirm this lad is a fnatastic talent having been given an unconditional at the RNCM!!! And as for the compositions that woman said didn't exist... well he's had a fanfare for symphony orchestra performed at the RAH so that isn't bad going!!!!!!!
  14. blue_smarties

blue_smarties Member

Well done Dan! I didn't hear the performance, anyone know if it'll be on again or if it's on the website? I applied for one of the grants for younger people, to get a new instrument, and gained myself a brand new sovereign horn :) They've started it again this year, it's well worth applying for, you can get an application form off the website
  15. alanl58

alanl58 Member

It is repeated on BBC3

27th March at 20.50 - that's ten minutes to nine on Saturday night, for all the West of England Regional contestants........

and again on

28th March at 02.10, which is when you will have just returned from the Indian/Chinese/nightclub or even Torquay.

Oh! and BBC3 can be found on $ky tv channel 160
    Freeview channel 7

Hope this helps

Alan Lafferty
    Bude Metric Brass
    St Gennys Silver Band