BBb tuba mouthpiece query

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Stanley Accrington, Sep 13, 2017.

1. In a nutshell then. I'm playing a BBb bass. It has a Vincent Bach 24AW mouthpiece which I like playing on. But it has an area of nickel plating missing on rim. The base metal is in contact with my mouth/lips. Need a new one.
    Can I presume that all VB mouthpieces will fit my BBb leadpipe. But if I bought another brand of tuba mouthpiece (will use Wick as an example) thenI would need to order one with 'large' shank.

2. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I'll give you a first reply and hope that others more expert will chip in later.

The Vincent Bach mouthpiece catalogue (http://www.mouthpieceexpress.com/media/bach/bachmouth.pdf) lists their Tuba Mouthpieces towards its very end, and at the end gives dimensions for their Mouthpieces and the receiver (opening size) that they are intended for. I believe that the 24AW is part of the 335 family and that Bach don't make any small shank Tuba Mouthpieces.

As far as I know Wick are the only company that offer new small shank Tuba Mouthpieces - I'd be glad to be corrected if that is not the case. As an aside and for general information only I believe that a large shank Trombone Mouthpiece will fit a Tuba's small shank receiver and that some of the biggest Bass Trombone sizes (28 mm plus) might work for someone in an Eb Bass.

At one time it was possible to have Mouthpieces replated rather than replace. I don't know if anyone still offers that service but it might be worth you considering and asking about - Tuba Mouthpieces are rather expensive (cost is variable and they were dearer in another shop Vincent Bach 335 24AW Tuba Mouthpiece)

Seems that DT had the same (replatng) idea too whilst I was editing/refining this post.

Edit. If replating is a course that you are interested in then I suggest you start a separate thread on that, there's nothing like getting personal recommendation or someone may suggest a supplier that you haven't come across in your own searches. A chap who went by the name of Gold Chops used to do them, but sadly he is no longer with us.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

In your shoes, I'd just get your existing mouthpiece replated. Cheaper, and you're guaranteed to get a mouthpiece you like...

4. pbirch

pbirch Member

the actual answer is yes, a new VB mouthpiece will fit your tuba, and there is no reason for the 24AW not to work well with a BBb tuba, and re-plating is a good option (google it and you will find several companies that can do it), the word is that that Bach mouthpieces are not quite as consistent as they used to be and that a new 24AW may not feel the sam as your old one
    If you go for a Denis Wick you will need to specify the L model, but even Denis Wick is not so straightforward with classic, heritage (and XL in both) and Aaron Tyndall models to choose from in gold and silver plate

5. Jack E

Jack E Active Member

6. Thanks all for the replies.

2nd tenor likes this.
  7. One Arnolds and Sons 24 AW purchased. It's in the post.

2nd tenor likes this.
  8. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

I'm glad you got something sorted out. After it has arrived and you've had a chance to try it out properly then it would be interesting to hear about how you think it compares to your Bach.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I had an Arnold & Sons copy of a Bach 1-1/2G a while back. It was as I recall quite a decent mouthpiece, far from the worst 1-1/2G copy I've ever tried.