BBb Basses - Comparitive Values?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Simes, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Hi all,

I've got a very nice condition B&H Imperial 3 Valve compensating Imperial BBb bass - Made in 1967 it plays well and is a nice instrument with few (comparitively) dents!

Now I've the opportunity to swap (plus some cash maybe) for a 4 Valve Imperial (1979 vintage) - visually very similar to my instrument - both are 17" bell silver plated. Has anyone any ideas on the comparitive values of the two instruments? I'm guessing my 3 valve is worth 3 to 500 quid - depending on the luck of the draw when selling it, but have no idea on the 4 valve Imp - you don't seem to see 17" bell instruments coming up on eBay these days!

Would appreciate any thoughts!

Cheers,

Simes.

2. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

No-one got any thoughts?

I know it's a bit of a "how long is a bit of string" type question - but would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on this!

Cheers

3. Colin.Doran

Colin.Doran Member

it all depends on what state it would be in I bought a 4 valve BBb imp a few years ago off ebay for 700 quid and sold it about 2 years ago for about 450 but that was cause i needed a quick sale too many tubas in a small 2 bed house not the best of situations but it's hard to say i would say anything between 500 to 1300 depent on condition but could be very wrong about that

4. Simes

Simes Supporting Member

Thanks Colin.

My offer was going to be around £600. But I didn't want to rob anyone - including me! Sounds like I'm in the ball park for a scruffy, but playable bass.

Cheers.