BBb Bass valves

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BbBill, Oct 27, 2007.

1. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Has anybody got any tips on making these heavy valves on a Sov BBb Bass feel abit lighter? Perhaps different type (or make) of spring maybe?

The valves are quite slick anyway, but after working on that lovely tricky bit in Yr of the Dragon over and over again, Im feeling my hand getting weak after a while cos of the heavy valves (think its cos I fractured a knuckle a few years ago and feel my fingers arent as strong after repeating these passages over and over!)
  2. zak

zak Member

Ah.... the valves are designed to move up and down then?? ;)
  3. If you take the springs out, you should be able to compress them down more by twisting them in the relevant direction meaning when they expand out, less pressure is needed to press the valves down. Have you tried using a different valve oil and cleaning the valves thoroughly so they work even smoother? If there is uneven resistance as the valves are pushed down, this would mean your muscles would need to tense up more and therefore get tired quicker.
  4. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

A regular Chem clean and service can be of help !
  5. on_castors

on_castors Member

I sympathise - my fingers are not as slick as once they were, and I find myself playing 4th valve with my 2nd finger half of the time now, as I have carpel tunnel syndrome in the left wrist, so the smoother valves are the better I like it!

On this subject, I have recently seen a new valve oil on the market from Denis Wick - contains PTFE, (the same as a non-stick frying pan!) - anyone tried it yet? the claim is it lasts well -
    "Especially useful for tuba and euphonium players, and for trombonists using Thayer and other large valves, as there is no need for constant re-application due to evaporation"
  6. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- have you asked your MD, Craig Anderson, is he has any remedies? Only thing I can think of is compressing the springs (by twisting the coils) a little to make them lighter. Try it on an old set of springs first though!
  7. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Darn, thats where Ive been going wrong.....!!! I thot they were just there to add weight to the instrument!!! :tongue:

And also Ive been told theyre seemingly supposed to do more than just 3-2-1, 3-2-1, 3-2-1, but Im having difficulty trying to get out that habbit!!! :rolleyes:

Seriously, the valves are pretty clean, so might have a try at the valve oil that Oncastors said. Ive tried the twisting springs method years ago and found it didnt make an awful lot of difference.

Just thot if anybody had stuck in a different set of springs or the like, or if any other tricks to make them alittle better! It doesnt really bother me most of the time, then again its maybe a shock to my fingers that Im practicing semiquavers over and over again.....!!!
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- Besson springs tend to be custom-made for the weight of the valves though! Maybe get an old set, cut a coil then extend it to it's proper length? That would certainly weaken strength.
  9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Stop practising then Willie! It's a much over rated pastime and makes you unpopular amongst your band colleagues.

(hope no-one from my band is reading this...................)

PS - if 3-2-1 doesn't work for you, try 1-2-3