BBb Bass players advice needed

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by EbEwan, Sep 19, 2010.

1. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

I know there was a recent thread about BBb Bass mouthpieces but it is more advice that I need (I think) rather than a technical discussion about mouthpieces.

Basically, I have just moved from Eb to Bb (something I have done before but this will be a permanent, or a tleast long term move). I am struggling with the DW1L mouthpice that comes with the instrument I have inherited, when I moved before I simply carried on using the 3L I had for my Eb and this worked well, but, and this is the crux of the matter, is this good long-term idea or should I really be persevering with the 1L? We're only 4th section so it isn't as if I will need any REALLY low, register wise.

ANY advice would be gratefully recieved!

2. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Practice......it could be that until you adjust to the feel/sound/pitch it won't feel right....so practice!

3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

I totally agree, I moved straight from Euphonium to BBb Bass and started with the 1L. You will become used to it's size in time and with practice. I've been on BBb for 8 years now and doubt I could play on anything smaller

4. DaveBBb

DaveBBb Member

As with the others above, I agree, the BBb Bass is a different beast altogether from the EEb. I have also played both in my time and found that the change of pitch was the greatest problem. Only time & practice will get you there. In terms of BBb mouthpieces my favourites are the DW2XL (powerful sound in all registers), the PT88+ (particularly good in lower registers) and the VB AW24 (mellow sound in all registers) in that order. I do not like the new DW's (too harsh).

Welcome to the Dark Side

(The Sorcerers' Apprentice) ;-)

5. Tubazz

Tubazz Member

If the mpc feels comfy then no need to change it as long as you are happy with the sound, but rehersal is the key , long slow notes ,hymn tunes etc ,and learn to listen very carefully to the pitch of the notes and the quality of the sound,if it does not sound good to you then it will not sound good to the MD in the middle

6. Danny

Danny New Member

I would say the DW1L was too big. If you have just moved onto BBb

7. Danny

Danny New Member

oops, I would suggest you concentrate on pitching first. I think this is one of the hardest elements of playing the BBb. Once you are pitching notes correctly the quality of sound and tuning will follow naturally. I used and still use pages 19-21 of the Arban (exercises 41-50) these really helped me. You will find that most BBb parts have very similar interval changes, get the pitching right and you will have sorted 80% of the music you will need to play. Just the fiddly fast stuff to master after that, when you have done this let me know how!!

8. mikey.smithy

mikey.smithy Member

Couldnt agree more Danny. Good sound advice there and those exercises are worth persevering with.

Mike

9. EbEwan

EbEwan Member

Thank you all for the advice...obviously I have my Arban out but with a month old baby and a toddler who thinks the greatest fun in the world is pressing the 4th valve down whilst I'm playing it is nto always easy to do as much as I'd like (or need!).

Danny, a question straight to you I suppose (as you raised it...) you said that the DW1L was too big. Obviously, I know everything is player specific, but are you suggesting that perhaps I should stick with the 3L for now, get pitching right (or as right as I'm ever going to get it!!), and then move up in mouthpiece size when I am more confident with the instrument?

I should probably add that we are playing the Bolsover contest in a couple of weeks...so maybe I should go for the 3L until then???

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  10. Hove Edge

Hove Edge Member

Danny is correct a DW1 is too big a jump from a 3L why dont you try something in the middle? I play on a VB 24AW but that is not to everyones taste!

When you are fed up of practicing....do some more!

Simon G

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb Bass
    Bb
    3L
    DW1L
    Eb
  12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I like that ... you should have it as your signature! :clap: