BBb Bass Mouthpieces, specifically pedaling

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy Tasker, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

VB24AW on EEb is best all round I find (would never use this on BBb though). On the (superior ;)) BBb it has to be a VB18 or Wick 1L. I've sometimes used a VB7 (bucket!) in the past on BBb, but you need a very strong set of chops. :D

http://www.bachbrass.com/pdf/AV6001 Bach Mpce Manual.pdf

2. simonium

simonium Member

I may be entirely mistaken, but did not the incomparable Derek Jackson use a Mount Vernon 24AW?

3. thatbassplayer

thatbassplayer Member

indeed he did Simon. Mr Routley has recently purchased one, and other players such as Mr Greswell plays on a yamaha mp which is very close to a 24aw/22 (I'm pretty sure its that but could and more than likely am wrong :D). All about personal preference. Size of mp isn't everything, even tho my mp is like a WMD.

4. pt88

pt88 New Member

I managed to pick up a mount vernon 24aw from a seller in the USA about 6 months ago in good condition for a MP 50 years old, I sent it of to Gold Chops who done a fantastic job, complete refurb gold plated rimm and cup MP now looks like a new one, been looking for one for about 25 years after a chance conversation with Derek Jackson at the Albert hall just after he had played I asked him about what MP he used. Oh a special one he's said then went on to say that when Black dyke were on tour in America it was given to him by one of the tuba player,s over there and have used it ever since

Been using a PT88+ for about 5 years now but have decided to give the Mount Vernon 24aw a go, see if I can get it to work for me

5. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

Yes he did - when I sat next to him in Sellers a few times he made one hell of a sound with it too. :) As others say, all about preference and what works for you. :D

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Interesting - I see that it's not only trombonists that go mad for the magic words "Mount Vernon".

7. Pastit

Pastit Member

No, Tess Daly is quite excited to hear them as well apparently!!

8. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Okay Guys I have had the good fortune of getting hold of a second hand PT 88+ and in due course I will post a write up on my personal findings. I have tried an Arnold & Sons 24AW, which is fab on EEb, but way too small on BBb. I have a Denis Wick Heritage 5 which I used a lot on EEb in a Quintet a few years back. I am currently playing on a Denis Wick standard 1L.

Thanks for all your inputs, they have really helped to see the broad range of preferred 'gob-irons'.

Cheers

Andy:)

9. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

I am not sure regarding the VB 24AW! I play on one (the mt. Vernon era) and it is brilliant, the newer mouthpieces seem to lack continuity in the cutting, some do not have the lovely open thoat that old ones have. I suggest trying a Melton or B&S 24aw where the quality is carefully monitored.

10. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

Mt Vernon Bachs cannot be beaten in my opinion. it has a resonance of its own.

11. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Hi Guys

I did say I would give you an update after trying a Perantucci PT-88+, I got off Paddo.

Well I am very impressed, certain areas like stability, note production, pedal range and volume are great. My upper range has suffered (or requires more practice!!) but as I am only concerned with improving my lower/pedal range I am well chuffed. I play bumper up BBb, and my Solo BBb is a recent ex EEb so his upper range is excellent, so we have a great team.

I (and the band!!) also noticed an improvement in my volume and note quality as I felt like I was blowing right through the middle of the M/Piece. So with a few months home practice and learning to shift more air through it we should be good for the next few years.

So thanks for all your inputs and advice it really helped me come to a good decision guys.

Lastly does anyone know of a good study/scales book for Tuba or should I dust off the Arban or Vizzuti?

12. paddo

paddo Member

Glad you are enjoying it Andy, upper register I shared, I found but with constant practice it gets better. It's a big mouthpiece so it does require the muscles to change a little.

As for scales, stick to the Arran pal, I do.

13. euphoria

euphoria Member

Hi Andy
    I would highly recommend the Kopprasch studies for BBb-flat Tuba: http://www.slideshare.net/hanktuba/kopprasch-60-selected-studies-for-bb-flat-tuba
    They are in Bass Clef.
    I use an adaptation of his 60 etudes for Bass trombone and they are a lot more fun than Arban.
    Have fun!
    Cheers Erik

14. Matthew

Matthew Active Member

15. MrGinjaNinja

MrGinjaNinja New Member

I se a DW 1XL since that was with the BBb when I moved from Cornet a couple of years ago. Seems to have served me pretty well. MD uses the same one on his BBb so it can't be all that bad.

16. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

Mr Williamson it's good to see you on here. Seems like I taught you well eh.

17. Dfawn

Dfawn New Member

I just got the 24AW on Megatone and the regular one. I'm split on each one. I sense there's more work involved to get the best out of the Megatone compered to the regular one. ..I want to be a fan of the Mega...but it's taking me some time to get the best out of it. Love the dark warm sound color our of the Mega, it's the dynamics that bother me..when going from mf to F or just attacking a Forte sound gets edgy...again...perhaps me needing more practice or a different approach to the Mega compared to what is needed in the regular Bach. Could use some pointers from good folks. Thanks.

18. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Well-Known Member

There are (were) members ‘ here’ who could answer the above but most of them aren’t that active here any more - times change and they are now not likely to see your post. From what little I know of Bass playing the BBb folk typically use a Bach 18 or Wick 2 which I think is a bit bigger than the Bach 24AW - I hope that that news isn’t too bad and, of course, a 24AW will deliver the (bulk of the) goods on a BBb too. I find that there’s nothing like practice and sticking to one reasonable mouthpiece for getting better, eventually you’ll get the best out of what you have (IIRC that much respected member Mello suggested that general idea to me some years back and it has worked well for me).

Some general points. I have found that deep mouthpieces, so ‘A’ cup depth, give lovely tone but make articulation more difficult - they’re fussy. Hence I tend to steer away from them and towards a medium depth cup instead, to my mind it’s better to get a note securely than to overly risk imperfection. So use what plays best for you and if you’re going to change from a piece that plays well for you then make the change small enough to lie within your capabilities to manage - learnt that the hard way. A new mouthpiece never is a ‘silver bullet’ but rather might be a stepping stone towards better or worse playing.

For the low range try playing simple tunes down an octave - or even two if the tune and your instrument will allow - it will help you speak/project/play through the fourth valve and then (down) onto the lowest open note and the couple below it (Winners Galore published by Brass Wind has many simple unaccompanied tunes, I find it ideal for the exercise just suggested - practicing what I preach, I used the book and did the ‘exercise’ last night). The same trick works for the upper range too, just play those easy tunes up an octave, etc. and watch your range grow and your tone improve. You can take it further again as the same trick works for dynamics too, (play at ff and pp) and articulations (try practicing a particular accents throughout the tune).

Edit. I don’t know your skill level so apologies if my well meaning suggestions for improvement fall below what you can already do.

The best place that I know of for Tuba stuff is the Tub Net forum which is USA based. Good luck .

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice