BBb Bass Mouthpieces, specifically pedaling

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy Tasker, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Hi Guys

I appreciate there are probably hundreds of threads on many different aspects of Bass mouthpieces, but my question is specific to pedaling on a BBb.

I have just recently changed from quite a number of years on Bass Trom to BBb Bass to help my present band out. I did play for Moston & Beswick a few moons ago on BBb Bass but think I played on a Arnold and Sons 24aw, which I have tried and I am not happy with this time round.

I am currently blowing on a standard model Wick 1L, but i'm not happy I want more clarity of tone and depth. I am doing most of the pedaling, and it's this I want to improve, in both sound and volume. My band can make a decent ff volume.

From the reading I have done, Perantucci PT-50+ or PT-88 seems to be the winners so far, without testing one of course.

So I just wondered if anyone else has made a similar move or has come across the same situation and has any advice?

Cheers Guys

Andy T

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb Bass
    Hi Guys
    24aw
    Wick 1L
    BBb.
  3. Get a Vb 24aw, i played it for the first year of BBb, great mouthpiece. A certain Mr Routley plays on one and he makes it sound amazing.

4. JDH

JDH Member

The 24AW is a great EEb bass mouthpiece, but is I would think rather small diameter cup on a BBb bass in brass band, although some people no doubt make it work.

I will leave to 'real' BBb players to suggest what is best...

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I was lucky enough to pick up a second-hand PT 88 last year and found it worked well for me, especially with the lower range.

6. for someone starting off i think the 24aw is perfect, however ive progressed to need a bigger MP hence how im playing on a Giddings and Webster Roland Szentpali CC model.

7. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Thanks a lot guys for the replies, muchly appreciated

8. paddo

paddo Member

you still looking for a PT88+?

9. pt88

pt88 New Member

Paddo, do you now use a different MP

10. paddo

paddo Member

Yes, I bought an Ofenloch from the USA, from Parkes, they are on facebook as tubamouthpieces love it, although it wasn't cheap at all.

11. pt88

pt88 New Member

Hi Paddo,

how does it compare to the PT88+

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    BBb Bass
    Hi Guys
    24aw
    Wick 1L
    BBb.
  13. paddo

paddo Member

Slightly smaller in the diameter and ever so smaller in depth but a more uniform interior, the shape of the out side mirrors the inside, I find it spot on. I changed a couple of years back when I had ruptured appendix at Xmas, and didn't start playing again til just over a week before the areas, devil and the deep blue sea and the pt 88+ was too Woolley on the Yanaha Neo. But I still lay the ofenloch on a sov, love it. Very round sound, deep pedals, and good upper register. But it is pricey.

They do a monthly payment terms, cost me 30 dollars postage and 30 dollars for the first month, I could have sent it back and paid nothing else, but then I paid nine payments of 30 but don't tell the wife hahahaha, best money I have spent, seriously.

Are you at butlins this weekend?

14. pt88

pt88 New Member

Thanks for the info,

Not at butlins, play in a Scottish band don't do that one.

Just as a matter of interest did you have to pay any import tax, I remember a few years ago I bought a Loud LM3 from the states and it cost me about £35 to get it out of the post office, import Tax and handling charges etc, MP was no use so sent it back another £10 so an expensive try out.

I play on a PT88+ gives a nice big sound excelent for the low stuff but I struggle with anything much above C 3rd space.

Andy, think you should stick to the VB24aw, most of the best BBb players I know or have heard somehow get it to work apart from one he uses a MF3

15. paddo

paddo Member

The MF3! Andy cattanach lol

Didn't pay owt else! Ssshhhhhhhh

Pt is good, I just found it could be harsh, tried it again a couple of weeks ago and couldn't get on with it, just a tad big.

16. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Hi yes still looking

17. paddo

paddo Member

I have I might sell for the right money.

18. Neillyboy

Neillyboy Member

I use a DW 1XL (insert sneidy DW comment here) you have to have a strong embouchure but it works an absolute treat for my pedal register. So open and broad! Pedal C and below really isn't an issue for me since I swapped from a 24AW. I have however switched to a 2L for "St Magnus" as it has little opportunity for strong pedal register and more upper register work.

So if looking for a universal mouthpiece, a 1L or 2L can go a long way.

19. As a non-tuba player, regularly asked to play EEb and BBb, I always use the DW 1L.

20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

When I first started playing BBb I used the DW1L that came with the instrument and got on fine with it for years. However, when I started playing for Reg Vardy a few years back the other BBb player recommended the VB24AW to me so I bought one and loved it instantly loved it. I don't feel restricted at all in any range, I can reach the pedal octave with ease and find it the best mouthpiece so far for clarity in faster passages where double/triple tonguing is required. Since moving to the 24AW I have added a VB18 Megatone and a VB22 to my aresnal, however always find that I end up going back to the 24AW. I've done a few rehearsals on St Magnus with my 18, but again find that I'm going back to the 24AW for the clarity in the faster sections

21. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Okay dokey, let me know what your looking for in a private message ta

22. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

Totally agree. I use a Wick 1L for both BBb and EEb!

Can pedal down on the BBb, and get way above top C on the EEb. Not sure the sound quality is good in the uber registers, but then again nor were some of the stratosphere trumpeters ;)