Bb Cornet Solo's

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lottie4744, Dec 17, 2005.

1. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Anyone got any ideas for Solo's with band Bb cornet that are a bit different to the usual stuff that gets played? But still all ideas welcomed!

Cheers xx
  2. flower girl

flower girl Member

fiesta mexicana is a good cornet solo, and another 1 is a Time for piece, the principal at the band i used to play for had it as his solo and it was lovely.
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Philip Sparke: Song & Dance
    Gilbert Vinter: Mathieson's Air

DAN-CORNET New Member

Have you tried BLAZE its very demanding
  5. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

What about the Maids of Cadiz - Brian Taylor use to play it great.

DAN-CORNET New Member

yes thats a nice one i used to play it some years ago
  7. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Member

Slavische Fantasie wicked solo!:biggrin:
  8. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

Just done that one. Top solo ain't it!
  9. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

If you want to go retro and technical, look at Goodbye Sweetheart or The Mermaid's Song by Alexander Owen.

I don't think the latter one's published, and it's one of my all time favourite cornet solos. You'd need a good band to play the accompaniments if you can find someone who's got it and is willing to lend it to you ;)
  10. Active Member

The Salvation Army band journals contain a huge variety of different types of solo. Here are a few ideas;

This is my Story (Krister Lundkvist); a latin style solo based on the hymn 'Blessed Assurance'.
    David of the White Rock (Trad. arr. Ray Bowes); plaintive slow melody.
    Clear Skies (Eric Ball); a 'timeless' theme and variations classic based on a melody of the same name.
    Prayer of Childhood (Leslie Condon); the composer's own arrangement of his alternative tune for 'Gentle Jesus, meek and mild'.

And from Kenneth Downie in his Kantaramusik range;

Crugybar; an arrangement of the Welsh hymn tune.
    Healing Waters; as recorded by David Daws on Golden Slippers, a poignant setting of 'From a hill I know, healing waters flow'.
  11. flashbarry

flashbarry Member

Hey Lauren,

How about 'Elegy' performed by Mark Wilkinson on the new Fodens recording 'Sunburst - The Music of Darrol Barry' which is available with a piano reduction from , this solo was also performed by the Granite City Brass and their principle cornet Calum Booth last year at the Whitburn Entertainment Contest.

PM me if you would like any other information.

12. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

For slow numbers, how about Healing Waters (Kenneth Downie) or Ballade (John Golland) ?? Possibly for a faster piece, Concorde (Roy Newsome) deserves more performances ... it's still fairly timeless in the way it's written.

post edit:- oops! I should have noticed that Healing Waters was mentioned by WOB before. Anyway, it gets my additional vote! Great lyrical piece!
  13. KMJ Recordings

You know, I'd forgotten all about Concorde - I think the last time I played it was with Mark Wilkinson at Besses Boys :D
  14. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Concorde was quite innovative when Phillip McCann recorded it with Dyke. Found another slow solo which is good to listen to and might be ideal to play ... Printemps (Andre/Carradot, arr. Bielby).
  15. Syrup

Syrup Member

You may want to try Brighouse & Rastrick for Mermaids Song. Steve Ridler used to play it on flugel in the 90's. I also seem to remember Jim Shepherd playing it at the nationals gala concert years ago. Its a fantastic piece.
  16. KMJ Recordings

Yep - Jim played it with Besses at the Gala Concert in 1983 - not sure if he did it since then. It is great, but it isn't for the faint hearted ;)
  17. Syrup

Syrup Member

Hepworth band recorded a solo CD with Hugh Steketee in the summer. Not only did he play them on cornet, but they were all his new compositions. You can get all the music and purchase the CD from Kirklees Music. Definately worth a look.
  18. MickM

MickM Member

I also remember a recording of "Mermaid song" by Jonathon Kenyon :eek: :clap:

Has Pandora or Cleopatra been on the rounds recently?
  19. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

I fancy that one I must say
  20. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

i'll 2nd the vote for 'song and dance' by mr sparke! great piece :tup