BB&CF by James Ord Hume

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jan H, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I was having a discussion with someone about the title of the march "BB&CF" by James Ord Hume. I thought it was an abbreviation of "Brittish Bombers and Canadian Forces", while the other person thought it meant "Brittish Bandsman and Contest Field". We both claim to have found this on the Internet, but neither of us can find back the source :sup

Can someone enlighten me? Thanks in advance!
  2. Griffin

Griffin Active Member

I was told it was the latter, never heard it called "British Bombers..."
    I have also been told it means "Band Bug***d & Conductor F****d", but don't reacon this is true!
  3. Jan H

Yes, I heard that one too :D
  4. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

I have always been told it stood for British Bandsman and Contest Field. Which was the full tile of the magazine back then. However i could be wrong.

it must have been the forerunner to My Barrys The Mouthpiece March :p
  5. pegleg

pegleg Member

About 33 years ago I played this piece once.

I was told that the initials stood for, and the piece was written for, the old magazine British Bandsman. :)
  6. Jan H

OK, it looks like I was wrong then
    Never trust what you find on the Internet people! ;)
    (except when you find it on tMP of course :) )
  7. Owen

Owen Member

Definately British Bandsman and Contest Field!
  8. Brian

Brian Member

British Bandsman and Contest Field is correct, but they were two seperate banding magazines which eventually joined and Ord Hume wrote the march to comemorate the joining.....I have always been led to believe...But if anyone Knows better...........
  9. Jan H

Your probably all right. It looks like I was mislead by some dubious internet site... :oops:

thanks all!!!

<- off to change the program notes for next week's concert...
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

According to the sleevenotes of the 1987 British Bandsman Centenary Concert CD, ...

"B.B. & C. F. was commissioned by John Henry Iles to mark the amalgamation of British Bandsman and Contest Field magazines, and is undoubtedly J. Ord Hume's most famous march" ( notes by ERIC WILSON)
  11. tedmundo

tedmundo Member

I confirm this; track-1 is "B.B. & C.F." by massed Dyke, Imps & Besses, conducted by Harry Mortimer. Brilliant!