BAYV on the radio, Thursday 14th July

Discussion in 'The Auditorium - Concert Details' started by PeterBale, Jul 11, 2005.

1. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From the BBC Radio 3 website:
    Having complained at the dearth of serious brass band music on the radio, here we've got two hours in prime-time, featuring the first full performance of John Pickard's "Gaia Symphony" - and I won't hear it as I'll be at band practice :mad:

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Buy a timer and record it! (... you ARE allowed to do that). Thanks for the reminder! I've still to hear Garry Howarth's Euph. Concerto, so double fun! :cool:

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

s'cuse me for having a blonde moment, What day is this gonna be on????

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Funnily enough, the same day as shown at the head of the post, Thursday - it was recorded on Sunday.

5. jonford

jonford Member

I'm sure you will be able to listen back to it on that listen online feature

6. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Get Sky+!

7. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

ooops, sorry pete, i told you it was a blonde moment

8. Deano

Deano Member

did anybody listen last night?

I thought the playing and stamina of the band was first class, all the soloists excelled. The percussion section must have been dead on their feet at the end, they didn't stop all through the performance, at least the brass players had a little breather in between movements.

Kevin Crockford was his usual powerful self (I say Kevin, that's who the compere from BBC3 named as sop), does anybody know who the new sop is at BAYV?

9. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

Did anyone hear Bayv last night? Fantastic playing and fantastic music. I'd previously only heared Wildfire and Men of stone so it was great to be able to hear the other two movements, which were incredibly powerful in their own way. I don't know what I'd peviously expected of the percussion 'windows', but rather than just being an interlude to the main movements they really added even more to the symphony. I picked up my torygraph this morning only to find no critic was bothered to/sent to do a review of the concert. This would,I hope, have done banding a power of good.
    Proceeding the concert, it was good to hear some of Bayv's programme from the Northern in January. Although, I must admit I missed 'Of men and mountains' as I had to go and water the garden. Never being much of a fan of Prof. Gregson's music I thought it the ideal time!
    Well done Bayv.:clap:

10. choirmaster

choirmaster Member

Oops, beat me to it Deano!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    radio
    BBC Radio 3
    Cheltenham International Festival of Music 2005 Complete
    brass bands
    performance
  12. Brian Bowen

Brian Bowen Active Member

It's still possible to hear the BAYV performance here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/networks/radio3/aod.shtml?radio3/performanceon3_thu

I listened this morning and must say it was a magnificent achievement. The quality via the internet is good (BBC Radio 3 is usually better than Radio 2) -- I usually listen through a decent amplifier & speakers. It's the first piece I've heard by John Pickard and it's easy to see why he was commissioned to write this year's Nationals test piece.

When I tuned in I wasn't sure I had enough time available to listen to all 65 minutes, but I was sucked in by the music and the playing, and that was it!

13. Mark Bowater

Mark Bowater Member

"New sop at BAYV "

Michelle Ibbotson played at the European's (nearly 8 months pregnant.) Following the birth of daughter Charlotte in June, Michelle is due to appear back with the BAYV band at the Welsh Proms this Saturday, as well as the forth coming British Open & Nationals.