Batons !

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Paul Batson, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Paul Batson

Paul Batson New Member

Hi. Just joined this forum to let conductors know of my baton-making service.
    I make bespoke batons to your exact specific requirements. If interested, why not check out my website batsonsbatons.co.uk or my facebook page of the same name.
    I started making batons for a top classical conductor who was dissatisfied with what's available in the shops.
    Many conductors use any old bit of stick or a pencil etc and others feel that the baton is akin to their instrument and worth getting right.
    Any comments/interest?

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Prefer not to use a baton at all ...

Sorry!

3. Paul Batson

Paul Batson New Member

I hear you!
    My first conducting teacher only had one arm but he got more from whatever ensemble he was working with than I ever did with a stick!

4. It all depends on the conductor, of course. But some of the loveliest, most effective conducting I've seen has been with a longer stick. When a talented conductor really knows how to use it, a fair size baton is a marvelous tool.

5. Paul Batson

Paul Batson New Member

Oh yes.
    Commonly I get asked to make them between about 10 inches up to 17 1/2 inches.
    Just to prove to myself that I could do it, I recently made a 21 inch stick, very thin (unlike factory-made batons)
    I am reliably informed that Sir Adrian Boult used one this length and many of his performances remain unsurpassed. I like to think that the stick made a difference!

I think balance is important to a lot of conductors as much as length.
    Nearly all the sticks I make balance on the first finger although I have made them with a heavier handle as well as 'weight-forward' ie where the stick is heavier.

6. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I believe batons (at least in bands) used to generally be rather longer and thicker than they are today. Look at the monster wielded by this chap! As a historical footnote, I think this is Robert Rimmer, brother of the more famous William.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice