Bathing your trumpet

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by David Robinson, Nov 2, 2003.

1. David Robinson

David Robinson New Member

My Band teacher gave me a piece of paper. It was an article about giving a trumpet a bath. I decided that it had been a while since I gave it a good cleaning, so I might as well try it. I noticed in bold face letters that is said
    Do not get the felts in your valves wet, or something to that extent. Well, I got them wet. I completely took the valves apart, and they are sitting there drying right now. Does anyone know if this will affect how my trumpet performs? Thanks in advance for any information you might provide me.
  2. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

The fact that your trumpet is in bits, would have quite a significant effect on how it performs! :lol:

Seriously, I can't see that this would have an effect at all, except that the felt might have shrunk a little! No doubt our members will be able to help you when they surface from their beds.

Incidentally, welcome to The

3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Never had the slightest bit of trouble with this in 16 years of playing valved instruments.

4. Seedhouse

Seedhouse Active Member

The only thing that will happen when getting your valves wet, is the possibility that they will become discoloured when dry. So if they were red, by washing them they may turn pink! :?

My Prestige Euph has black felts at the top of the valves and I don't get them wet so that they don't turn grey. If I did accidently get them wet and they turn grey, it's easy to buy new ones very cheaply and change them.

I think it's all just instrument presentation with the fact of not getting them wet.

Other than that it shouldn't affect your playing/ trumpet whatsoever, I don't think.
  5. David Robinson

The felts were originally black, and they still are. Everything seems fine and dandy. For now....
  6. Maybe.....
    If the felts continually get wet, and then dry out, they go hard. When depressing the valves they may get a little noisy??
  7. David Robinson

I know I won't do that again.
    When I press my second valve, I can hear the spring. Not good. I'm going over it right now.
  8. Okiedokie of Oz

Okiedokie of Oz Active Member

When "Bessie" was new, I never paid much attention to the colour of the felts. I remember at one stage I saw my teacher rotating his felts and asked about it.

Now because I've alwasys bathed my instruments, my felts always get wet. The only problem I think that could relate is that sometimes they may dry funny. But, as Seedhouse said, felts are's those damp spring dampeners that cost an arm and a leg when they dey out and start cracking!!!!! au$60 for a set!!!!

Man, it's only a bit of rubber!!!