Bathed my tuba

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Tubby, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Tubby

Tubby Member

I'm just getting over man flu and thought it would be a good idea to give the tuba a bath, you know germs and all that.

I am in the habit of shoving water through it every couple of months to keep the grot out however a got hot bath really got things moving, disgusting i know but I was supprised at how much came out with washing up liquid, bi carb of soda and a dash of lemon juice in hot water.

Give it a try you'll be supprised.
  2. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Nein, I just use a proper pull through brush!
  3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

it,s easy with a trom. only got one slide to worry about.
  4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Indeed, you still hear some horror stories though.
  5. shric debar

shric debar New Member

my old trumpet teacher took cleaning a tuba to the extreme and got a power hose.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2009
  6. Tuba83

Tuba83 New Member

That’s one way to do it!

Wouldn’t advise it though!
  7. lowsaints

lowsaints Member

Oh dear, there's always one isn't there?

However, i've heard better examples of cleaning a brass instrument "with extreme prejudice".

There is the story of the the young lad who started playing trombone in school and on taking it home to the family farm to clean, his dear dad said "i'll sort that out, no problem" and promptly stuck the trom in a vat of caustic acid that he had to hand.

Needless to say, it didn't go very well and the trom fell apart over the next week as all of the welds got eaten away!!:eek:
  8. Bungle

Bungle Member

Did you use a brush down the tubes? If not you'd be surprised how much grot is still left. I once put my bass in the bath to soak and reassembled it, forgetting to use a brush. So a couple of weeks later I cleaned it again and was surprised how much grot came out, mostly from the lead pipe. Always be careful using a brush down the tuning slides with tight bends not to get the brush stuck.
  9. catto09

catto09 Member

I burst a hole in my bath doing this very thing with a tuba :oops:
  10. shric debar

shric debar New Member

HAHA that's pure genius. mind it's probably the best thing that could happen to a school instrument as they are all RUBBISH!!!!
  11. Bungle

Bungle Member

You need to visit your local baptist church (or any other local church) that practices total immersion baptisms, then you will have a big enough bath for your tuba and won't have to damage your home one. Every tuba deserves a baptism and brush up :D
  12. shric debar

shric debar New Member

BWAHAHAHAHAHA thats more genius.
  13. catto09

catto09 Member

It's more like a swimming pool than a baptismal tank lol. Might damage the finish, you know? :p
  14. Scottie

Scottie New Member

I found the best way to clean my Bb Bass was to get a cornet player to do it!!!
    Mind that was about 10 years ago and he's been avoiding me ever since.
    Brian if your out there i have another £10 quid waiting for you
  15. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

Does anyone else have an image of 'Brian' actually being a tiny person crawling around the inside of a Bb Bass, complete with miner's helmet and cleaning tools?

Just me then....

***wanders off***
  16. shric debar

shric debar New Member

strangely yes i do have that image.
  17. Bungle

Bungle Member

I just thought, if you had a friend with a hot tub, you could wait 'til they go on holiday and use that for a tuba. The constantly moving water would be good for cleaning.
  18. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

A pupil's dad tried to be helpful once and sprayed the valves with WD40...! The WD40 was actually meant to loosen very tight valve tops...! Oh dear... :hammer
  19. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

If my mate had a hot tub I would not think to bathe my tuba in it. I would get our percussion section, some babychams and a woo woo for the Rep player and have a party mate.
  20. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member