Bass Trombone Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by metalminions, Mar 16, 2014.

1. metalminions

metalminions New Member

Hi Everyone! Can anyone suggest any decent bass trombone solos? Preferably without any stupidly high 2nd trombone parts as we're swapping! I'd really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
    Alicia

2. Hsop

Hsop Member

Frosty the snowman haha!

3. metalminions

metalminions New Member

Thanks Hsop...I was thinking of something a bit more seasonal though!

4. simonbassbone

simonbassbone Member

I'd check out Wanderin' Star, Swing Low or if you want something more meaty Proclamation.

5. Gtrom

Gtrom Member

Hi Alicia.

How about " I only have eyes for you" arranged by Alan Fernie. It's a crowd pleaser and relatively easy to play with Pedal B flats being the lowest notes.

Also how about "The passing years" by Kenneth Cooke. This is a Salvation Army piece and may be difficult to get from SP&S as it dates back to about 1960.

Happy hunting!

6. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

In Cellar Cool - Old but good

7. chris.neufeld

chris.neufeld Member

"I wan'na be like you" from the Jungle Book (arr.Alan Fernie) is a good upbeat bass trom solo

8. cpt_mainwaring

cpt_mainwaring New Member

Have quite enjoyed playing " Rainy Day in Rio"(Geoff Richards). Check out Douglas Yeo/Doyen CD "Proclomation" with Black Dyke as rainy day and "Share my Yoke" both on there. There's also "Hall of the Mountain King" and " If I were a Rich Man".

9. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

Try looking at this thread on the trombone forum: http://tromboneforum.org/index.php?topic=58909.0 Looks like there are some additional options there. I think there is also a youtube video of Doug Yeo playing a solo with a US Brass Band, not sure what piece it is.

10. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trombone Solos Hi
    Thanks.Alicia
    decent bass trombone solos
    trombone parts
    suggestions
  11. metalminions

metalminions New Member

thanks everyone for your responses.They are very much appreciated!

12. Did you decide which one to play?

13. WorldofBrass.com

WorldofBrass.com Active Member

On the contrary, out of print music from The Salvation Army's Brass Band Journals (Unity, Triumph, General and Festival Series) can be supplied as high quality re-prints of the original publications. Telephone the Mail Order Department on 01933 445445 and whoever takes your call will be able to help you.

14. Tubby

Tubby Member

Andrew Mackerith - Swing Low

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Is a nice solo - but very hard, worth bearing in mind. When I requested ideas here for a show-offy solo for the Yeovil contest a number of years ago, that's the one that was suggested here and that I then performed. Not sure what the requested skill level is. If searching for it, note that the arranger is spelled "Mackereth".

There's another Swing Low bass trombone solo version too, by Alan Fernie, which is substantially more straightforward.

16. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

King Of The Road - Roger Miller song from the 60s from Pennine Music