Bass Trombone Solos

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dackdack, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Dackdack

Dackdack New Member

Greetings all,

Our MD has asked everymember of our band to pull a solo out of the music library and practice and perform it. Can anyone name a few fairly decent but not too tricky Bass Trombone Solos that I can get my chops round :)

Many thanks all that can help!

2. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

"Wandrin' Star" (arranged, I think, by Alan Fernie) is rather good - gives you a chance to show off the bass sound in the Hank Martin register, and has a nice agile (but playable) obbligato section.

3. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

Minnie The Moocher for Bass Trom is excellent, not tricky really, with some good variation in the range!

4. yoda

yoda Member

B' Bye arranged Adrian Drover. Classy laid back jazzy solo

or if you want something a little more technical...... Rainy Day in Rio by Goff Richards.

2 superb solos that feature the serious side of the instrument and not the comic side ;)

5. Dackdack

Dackdack New Member

Do or not Do, there is no try. Having heard this on Youtube, I will chose not do :) It is a little too technical for me.

Some great suggestions so far. Can't wait to look in the band library tomorrow night :)

6. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

We have an original solo from Gerry McColl on the website called "La Reine". (www.mmi-music.co.uk)

7. yoda

yoda Member

:D :clap: :cool:

8. blue juice

blue juice Member

There's a cracking arrangement of in the hall of the mountain king as a bass trom solo, quite advanced and in a big band style. By Bill Geldard I think.

9. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

I always enjoy playing "I wanna be like you". Good fun, makes everyone smile, and not that hard either. Think the arrangement's by Alan Fernie?

I would give "Wand'rin' Star" a miss (sorry Jack!)... Some cheese just smells too bad... Incidentally, I don't recall there being an obbligato section in it? Is there more than one arrangement? I think it's the Fernie one that we have.

But speaking of obbligatos, I was at a concert with Mr Fernie's youth band not long ago where they programmed a George Roberts style bass trombone obbligato feature. Smooth and tasty in and out of the trigger register. It was a new arrangement - not sure of the title. Keep meaning to enquire...

10. Dackdack

Dackdack New Member

Will report back with what I find! Cheers again all for the help.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trombone Solos
    Bass Trombone Solos Greetings
    tricky Bass Trombone Solos
    MD
    music library
  12. Dackdack

Dackdack New Member

Ok here we go;

B' Bye - No
    Hall of the Mountain King - No
    I wanna be like you - no
    Minnie the Moocher - No
    Rainy day in Rio - No
    Wandrin' Star - Yes *rolls eyes* (No obligato written, but there's nothing stopping a little blues 'bone improv :D)

Have also taken I only Have Eyes for You which is a Bass Trom feature (And might be the piece you were talking about MoominDave).

13. hammerholmes

hammerholmes New Member

George Roberts Suite has a piece for everyone. Be it the first, second or third in the suite. Stella by Starlight, Feelin' Low (not a note even on the stave!!) or In the Hall of the Mountain King. All are available as singular pieces as well. Theres also the likes of Father Neptune which is more of a classic brass band solo. You should give Feelin' Low a shot. Great piece of very laid back music. There's a recording of it on Doug Yeo's Proclamation CD. Hope this helps!

14. MoominDave

Don't think it was. I'll ask Alan.

15. MoominDave

Turns out it is that one. My error, sorry.

16. Dackdack

Dackdack New Member

No worries :) It's not often that I'm right if I'm honest. I may have to print the page out to hang on my wall just to show my fiance I do sometimes know what I'm talking about :)

Anyway, it's a lovely piece and the Bass 'Bone part is quite tricky. I'm hoping it's not out of my abilty.

17. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

Or get his Mrs to ask him more like.........:rolleyes:

18. MoominDave

That's what I said... ;-)

19. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

One of our lads used to regularly bring the house down with Leigh Baker's setting of 'The Bare Necessities' - and although originally done for Eb bass sits rather nicely on bass trom. (I think better than it does on tuba.)

You've gotta have your clowning-around head on for that one though, and have the choreography well sorted in advance. But there's nothing hard in it, which gives the soloist a chance to clown around still further without denting the performance.

20. SteveT

SteveT Member

Go for it!

Can I just say, that as a trombonist, I, like many can get a bit prissy about playing music designed to be humourous. However, as a listener and audience member, it normally works well. Quite often it gives the audience a bit of a break from the sometimes tedious programming you get in some band concerts! My spell on Bass Trombone was at Leyland some years ago, and I knew that, "like it or not", if i did a humourous solo... some of the audience members would always come up to me at the end of the concert to say what a good player I was and how entertaining the music had been.

I knew full well that the principal cornet and euph had played wonderfully well in their technically brilliant solos, but the audience appreciate being entertained! If you are in any doubt, ask Steve Sykes?

It's the quality of how you play, not so much what.

Go on... entertain them, and have fun doing it!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  21. Jnr.

Jnr. New Member

I've played Bob Casey's arrangement of 'Minnie the Moocher' with my local band at lots of different concerts and contests. It's great fun to play and the audience seem to enjoy it too which is a big bonus. It's not particularly difficult either. The range goes from a Db above the stave to a pedal A. Another good bass solo is Alan Fernie's arrangement of 'I Wanna Be Like You'. Our band has played this one too but it was played by the bass player before me who did an amazing job. It doesn't go as low 'Minnie the Moocher' (lowest note being a C) and goes up to an F above the stave but i think generally it's a more difficult solo.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trombone Solos
    Bass Trombone Solos Greetings
    tricky Bass Trombone Solos
    MD
    music library