Bass Trombone mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Mujician, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Mujician

Mujician Member

Im looking at getting a new mouthpiece and Ive just discovered Bach 'Megatones' what would the difference be between a megatone mouthpiece and a normal bach mouthpiece of the same size?
    I had a chat with roger Argente a while ago and he said he uses a small contrabass mouthpiece in his bass trombone as he finds high notes easy to play and the lower notes a little more difficult, so the larger mouthpiece he uses (at the time he said he uses the smallest of the thien contra mouthpieces) helps him get the lower notes. Is this the case generally, or is it a matter of just finding somethiing I like the feel of? Thanks, Ben
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

3. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

have a look at these. The info on Stainless steel might be interesting to. It has similar qualities to the megatone with the extra of being made with a more dense material
  4. Trum

Trum Member

I don't know where you can get them from easily but I play a Ferguson L bass trom mouthpiece:

More like a small bass mouthpiece than a bass trombone. Gives you great control through the whole register.
  5. basebonetone

basebonetone Member

Bass trom mouthpieces

I've been playing on a Bach 1 1/4 GM for the last couple of years and have just changed to a 1 1/4 GM Megatone which are quite rare - had to get it from America. The idea is to get a slightly darker/orchestral sound which is what the megatone advertises supposedly-not entirely convinced as yet but still a great mouthpiece!
  6. Mujician

Mujician Member

Im a bit reluctant to spend 100 quid on something that I might not like, or might not suit me. I have been spending a lot of time with a yamaha 59, which is a tiny bit bigger than a bach 1.5. I tried my bach 2 this morning and it really didnt feel nice, but the funny thing was it felt bigger. Perhaps because it was cold I dont know. So Im quite tempted by a 1 1/4. What are your thoughts on this?
  7. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So many geeky bass trombone threads at once - it's like Xmas all over again!

Bach's QA on mouthpiece specs is notoriously variable. I've measured a 1-1/2G and a 2G that had exactly the same rim sizes, near as dammit, and you should expect to find something labelled with a particular size somewhere in the range between the size below and the size above. In light of this, it's sensible to try a large number of Bach mouthpieces in any particular size in order to get a feel for how the overall size sits. This has a disadvantage and an advantage - you never quite know what you're going to get, but a bit of patience in testing allows you to fine-tune.

The Megatone versions of Bach mouthpieces have a bigger throat and more external mass than the normal versions. I've yet to find one that I consider a superior design to the original - all I have tried have been somewhat less controllable; an effect which, as you are trying to lose a "wild" quality to your playing, I would suggest is probably not what you're after.

Re your chat with Roger Argente, this is intriguing. Most symphonic pros in this country go with smaller equipment - 2G or 1-1/2G. I'd heard he'd been trying one of the new 00ALs from Denis Wick, but hadn't realised he'd gone that big.
    Whatever you do, don't buy a huge mouthpiece just because brilliant player XXXX is playing one. The sound concept from bigger mouthpieces in the bass bone is quite different - there's something of an unavoidable shift in concept from smaller (e.g. 1-1/2G) to larger (e.g. 1G). Smaller is about focus and occasional brilliance; larger is about sound width. If you go huge, make sure it's because that's the sound you want to get, not as a quick route to an easy low register.

The 1-1/4G size sits approximately on the dividing line between the two concepts. I play on a Bach 1-1/4G that is not one of the deepest you'll come across. This lets me make a smaller-rimsize-style sound while retaining some width of sound and assisting with the loud low stuff. However, there are other 1-1/4Gs, and more particularly other models of 1-1/4G (1-1/4GM, 1-1/4G Megatone, 1-1/4GM Megatone, plus various from other makers) which are in the large-rimsize-style sound camp.
    For reference, the Ferguson L is generally considered to be in the 1-1/4G size range. You could try a Rath B1-1/4W to get some idea of how it might be - both models were developed from the same original - the Minick L.

Interesting that bassbonetone talks about a "darker/orchestral" sound. I wouldn't consider those two terms to be synonymous. In my observation, very often what's appreciated in the orchestra is a lighter and more colourful sound. I've used my medium-bore G/D w/ 2G-size mouthpiece in various orchestral situations in the last couple of years [taking care to persuade the tenors onto smaller equipment too, each time], and have been quite taken aback by the feedback, from fellow players, conductors, and audience members alike - universally positive, often talking unfavourably about the trends of the last 40 years.
    Food for thought there. Personally, about the only orchestral composer that I would naturally aim for a seriously dark sound in is Bruckner.
  8. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

IMHO the important question is ...WHY do you think you need to change mouthpiece? as it's not something to enter into lightly.
  9. Mujician

Mujician Member

I feel that I should be able to do certain things better, after speaking to people and doing some thinking, I think a larger MP is the way to go for me.
  10. Mujician

Mujician Member

Im going to give my 2g a try again. Lots of practicing coming up! I'll report back soon!