Bass trombone in G

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by madrich, Jun 8, 2006.

1. madrich

madrich Member

Does anyone happen to have lying around in a dusty attic an old G bass trombone (the ones with the gear stick to push the slide?). I ask, because a friend of mine collects trombones and would really appreciate one of these to complete his set. If anyone has one for sale (preferably with the key which transposes down a major 4th to D) can you pm me and i'll put him in touch with you?

Thanks loads,

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Forgive me if this is nonsense, as I'm by no means an expert on 'G' troms, however I had always thought that one had either a handle or a 'D' trigger, not both ... ?
  3. madrich

madrich Member

I really don't know - I'm just going by what the chap said to me!
  4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

The G/D trombones still need a handle, or else you couldn't reach the further positions.

Here's a picture from Doug Yeo's website:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2006
  5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I understand that, I just thought that having a trigger negated the need to use 6th/7th, although I also understand, as with Bb/F instruments, there are times when long positions are preferable to using the trigger.

Like I say, I wasn't sure, it was just an impression I had ...
  6. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Triggers on trombones are only there to extend the range of the trombone, not as a substitute for long positions. The G/D trombone was really a last-ditch attempt by Booseys to bring an out-dated design into the present, a bit like Prestige cornets/euphs etc. The G trombone only had a range down to low Db, then a gap and then pedal G, so a lot of orchestral music was not possible. The G/D made a greater range possible, but still was unable to play a low Ab. I have in my possession a G/D bass trombone with the optional C slide which gave it a complete chromatic range, albeit rather cumbersome. These are very rare and you would be hard pushed to find a good one. I recommend that you keep one eye on Ebay, as they do crop up occasionally, but I've never seen a G/D on there (and you're not having mine!) ;)

Now, do I earn your pity or your admiration for my knowledge of all things pointless? :biggrin:
  7. premacyblue

premacyblue Member

My old schooldown the road from me had a playable Hawkes version still in its leather case. I tried to buy it off the school but they refused to sell it!!!
  8. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

I accept this may be generally true for bass trombones. Not sure I agree completely that this is true of Bb/F tenors. Seems to me the reason that many 2nd trom players in particular (at least in brass bands, where the music rarely requires notes below written low F#) prefer the Bb/F is to facilitate passages involving extreme shifts in the low 'C' to 'Eb' area, where a fair amount of the writing for 2nd trombone often lies.

[This argument of course completely ignores those tenor trombonists who only have the trigger for show, and don't actually know what it's for ... :wink: ]

9. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

In that case, wouldn't you have though that a G attachment would be more widely seen on tenors? Just musing because I've been considering it for yonks. I play on a straight tenor most frequently these days, but when I do use the plug a G would probably be more suitable.

11. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Sorry to be pedantic, but attachments (of whatever key) were invented soley to extend the range of the instrument. Of course, the fact that you can play some notes in shorter positions is a very welcome coincidence that is all too frequently abused by 2nd rate players. Going off thread slightly, but I get so annoyed by players overusing the F attachment simply because it's there. My old teachers all used to tell me to go to the closest position to where you came from, thus saving any unnecessary jerks.

BTW, I've had a look at the ebay G trombone, and I would suggest that, if the reserve is anywhere near the buy-it-now, he's asking too much. I payed £50 for mine, but admit it was a real bargain.