Bass Trombone Air-varies

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ditchda, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Ditchda

Ditchda New Member

Heyy,
    Does anybody know any air-varies that are about grade 5-6 standard?
    Preferably in bass clef! :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trombone Air
    Heyy
    Does
    bass clef
    standard
  3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

For bass trombone. or just in bass clef? There is a difference!

If it's bass clef, then there's lots of Arthur Pryor stuff out there, but I think you might struggle for actual bass trombone pieces, as the genre of the Air Varie belongs to the same era of the G trombone, and not many people knew how it worked (including some who played it!).

4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

"Lucy Long" was a good one, but I don't know the composer or the publisher if, indeed, it is still in print.
    - Wilkie

5. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Air-varie... Grade 5-6 standard...

Don't think those two criteria overlap very much!

6. elkartian

elkartian New Member

7. Woodpecker

Woodpecker New Member

I have recollections of a Salvation Army Bass Trom solo (in bass clef) about this standard a little like an Air Varie. It is called "The Passing Years". You should be able to get this from SP&S or World of Brass. It used to be in one of their trombone albums so I'm sure they will also be able to supply piano or band parts as well.

8. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

It was written by Kenneth Cook, and has been recorded by Doug Yeo, amongst others. It's not particularly tricky but quite enjoyable for both player and audience - just one word of warning: the piano accompaniment is pretty tricky, trying to fit in all the elements from the band original!

9. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Hmmmm, I was waiting on someone mentioning the classic air varie In Cellar Cool arranged by William Rimmer.

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

Unfortunately for you, young man, you are too impatient. That was going to be my suggestion - having stolen it from the bass trombonist on many occasions. ;)

11. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Young? :woo

There's loads of 'modern' bass trom solos available though ... just get recordings of the likes of Bill Reichenbach, Jos Jansen, Dave Taylor (... could be our tMPer, but not him ... or maybe?), Ben van Dijk etc. to sense the repertoire!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trombone Air
    Heyy
    Does
    bass clef
    standard
  13. Ditchda

Ditchda New Member

So long as it's in bass clef and it's not horrifically difficult I'm not particularly fussed tbh.

14. Ditchda

Ditchda New Member

I'm finding an album with it on everywhere but no-one seems to do the sheet music :confused:

15. brassneck

brassneck Active Member