Bass Trom

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by snazzy_cornet_sound, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Could someone please tell me is a Bass Trombone in a Brass Band in concert pitch or in Bb?

2. Colin D

Colin D Member

Parts are written in bass clef, concert pitch.

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Try writing them in bass clef Bb - make 'em think for a change!

4. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

My school music teacher tried doing that once - knowing that I played an E-flat tuba but that it was important that I learned to read Bass clef for orchestral work he painstakingly copied out the (string) double bass part, transposing it into E-flat Bass Clef...... Doh!

5. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The modern bass trombone is pitched in Bb but the player reads concert pitch bass clef.

6. McEuphie

McEuphie Member

Hi Folks

Is there a quick and easy way read/play bass clef?

I've tried 2 ways of playing bass trom part on my euph, both involve an element of transposition:

1. Read as bass clef and transpose up a tone - :(
    2. Read as treble clef (drop 3 flats) and transpose down a fifth - :-?

Is there an easier way?!?

Cheers

7. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

Buy a small (French) Tuba in C and simply read it as Bass Clef ??

8. Colin D

Colin D Member

Get hold of Tune A Day book 1 in bass clef for trombone & euphonium - you'll be a smug bass clef reader within a couple of days, promise!

9. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

And then you can start on Alto cleff !!

10. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trom
    Bass Trombone
    Bb
    Brass Band
    concert pitch
  11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Learn it.

I did what Colin said about 7 years ago and now I'm more fluent in bass clef than I am treble.

12. Ali.Syme

Ali.Syme Member

Exactly!

Learn bass clef...then alto. A middle Bb in Alto is in the same position as a C in treble. So if you're reading Bb Treble and play it as a Bb, you're playing the correct pitch.

On bass bone I've had to learn alto for solo stuff and Eb and Bb for covering tuba parts. Unfortunately I never had to learn any Bb notes above a middle C so when I covered a 2nd trombone in brass band I was...em...well pitching the notes became the least of my worries!

Best of luck!

13. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

Reading Bass Clef

Hi
    I came off Cornet onto Bass Trom and just learned the notes as positions first. Then when you get used to playing the positions easily start giving the notes their names.

I asked loads of people who play Bass Trom how they read it and most couldnt tell me....or we just do?

Try doing the same with valves it may help....but it does mess up your head for a while.

Hope it helps

Andy

14. Hells Bones

I actually had a masterclass on playing the alto trombone with Kevin Price and Ed Jones yesterday and they pretty much said the opposite.

Learning what the notes are on the instrument is very important especially when it comes to sight reading. Otherwise you just learn where the notes are for a particular piece.

And yes, I am about to go relearn alto clef because of this :cool:

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Erm... No... That's not alto clef. You may be confusing it with tenor clef [your 2nd sentence in the above quote suggests so], but the final sentence rather confuses matters, so I'm not certain whether that is the particular mistake you've made or not.

To tidy up - tenor clef has the same clef positions as trombone-pitch Bb transposing treble clef, like brass band tenor trombones use; the same notes in alto clef are a line and a space down - e.g. C in alto clef is on the 3rd line up of the staff; the same C in tenor clef is on the 4th line up of the staff; the equivalent note in brass band tenor trombone talk is D on the 4th line up of the treble staff, which qualitatively looks the same as the tenor clef version. It's pretty straightforward when you take care.

16. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

that's because most of us can't read (music or words) and we can't count either - oh but boy can we blow :D

17. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

That's the part I have the most trouble with! I think I must be the only bass trombonist in the history of the brass band ever to be asked to play louder... :oops:

(Don't worry, he'll soon be telling me to shut up, the way I'm going)

18. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Tim Morgan related ages back on the brass band mailing list how he was once told to "just ****ing blow the thing"... He was doing some excellent filling-rattling for Redbridge in their winning performance yesterday...

19. Andy Tasker

Andy Tasker Member

20. Hells Bones

21. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Trom
    Bass Trombone
    Bb
    Brass Band
    concert pitch