Bass Trom Players Only

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, Sep 6, 2007.

1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

Us (bass trom) players are normally ignored, but occasionally we come accross a piece with a properly written bass trom part.

So I think we should share the good stuff with the exponents of our art (yes obliterateing a band is an art)

The Incredibles, Phil harper

Thank you Phil !
  2. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Here here Steve, couldn't agree with you more!! I don't think we're ignored really, I think they attempt to ignore us which is why we blast the bell ends off ha ha that'll teach 'em! LOL
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

And it's not just bands that are made to taste our (w)rath -
    some of the most amazingly full-on tazzage I've ever had the privilege of taking part in occurred on Sunday in Reinhold Gliere's 3rd Symphony, 'Ilya Murometz'. For three pages in the parts before the big climax at the end of the 4th movement, the brass section of 4 trumpets, 8 horns, 4 trombones and tuba goes round and round a chorale based on a Russian Orthodox church chant, getting gradually higher and higher and louder and louder, as the strings scrape away more and more inaudibly...

And that's to say nothing of the two melodic soli pedal Ebs (under 4 leger lines) for trombones 3 and 4 in the 2nd movement.
  4. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

The most challenging bass trombone parts I have ever played have been in the Trombone Quartet!
    When our old Bass Trom player couldn't do a gig, I'd switch to bass and get my teacher to play top! Cracking parts, absolutely fantastic!
    I never use my trigger unless it is absolutely necessary I.E. low Eb-B
    so depending on the parts you get some fantastic lines and position changes!

Ever played Stars and Stripes Forever for Quartet?
  5. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

No but I've played it as a banjo/sousaphone duet!!!

PS I never ignoe bass trom players - I'm always sat next to em and like to give em abuse now and again ;)
  6. Hells Bones

7. Hells Bones

I feel obliged to state that I can't quite do the trills yet, I can do everything else but my trills are slightly sluggish!
  8. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

WOW!! that is something special -- Girly girls as well !!!!!!
  9. Hells Bones

Yes, they are amazing, I have had the good fortune to see them live once, missed them twice though, they are at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester on Saturday!
    It is not the same lineup these days however, the only original remaining member was playing second bone in that video, she now plays first.

But they are still absolutely amazing!
  10. Markbone

Markbone Member

Wow, liking those lowww notes :D
  11. Hells Bones

12. Markbone

Markbone Member

:clap: mmmm! :tup
  13. sunny_jimbob

sunny_jimbob Member

Not a bass bone part, but the other week I helped out the wife's big band on 2nd bone as a favour as my high range is not pretty. So there I am, struggling away, when out comes this piece called 'Doughnut King'. Same old story, some nice little counter melodies but all above the staff. Until that is half way down the last page - a cracking counter melody at ff down below the stage. Made my little day it did!
  14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Happy memories! I played that arrangement with some mates at college. I usually sat on 3rd trombone to keep out of harms' way, so opted for that part. It's fairly easy until you turn to page 3 and see a lot of black notes! The arrangement is by Simon Wills and is available from Warwick Music, I think.

Interestingly, Bones Apart hasn't always been girls only! Carol had just left the group and they were looking for somebody else, so I filled in on a couple of shows! The lilac top didn't fit though!
  15. Hells Bones

You are now my best friend!

How could I get that arrangement? They don't have it at Warwick
  16. Bass Trumpet

Leave it with me, I'll talk to Becky.
  17. Hells Bones

Any pieces they do I'd be glad to be able to get hold of, even comedian's gallop which is a good few years beyond me! :biggrin:
  18. Bass Trumpet

Interesting you should mention the Comedian's Galop. It's one of those lovely pieces that sounds really flashy, but is actually quite easy to play. Helen's arrangement, I think. She is great at shrinking existing arrangements for the group, as she originally scored the CG for trombone octet. I don't think it's published, but Helen is one of my oldest mates and I'm sure I could get a copy.

Sorry, mods, I'll go and do some practice and let the real bass trombonists get back on topic, not that I can remember what it was.
  19. MaxPressure

MaxPressure Member

have you listened to that recording i gave you yet steve ??
  20. Baritonedeaf

Baritonedeaf Member

Over the Horizon - the piece played by Brass Band Treieze Etoiles (B. Moren) at the Europeans has an amazing Bass Trombone Cadenza/solo in it - fantastic!

It also has an amazing Bari solo about 25 minutes in! Superb.