bass trom mouthpieces

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by batonwaggler, Feb 27, 2004.

1. batonwaggler

batonwaggler New Member

our bass trom player plays a yahama b/trom,but would like to try a new mouthpiece to get a fatter lower register sound.is there any help in makes or peoples preferances
    thanks

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    bass trom player
    bass trom mouthpieces
    fatter lower register
    new mouthpiece
    yahama b
  3. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

After trying many (Schilke 59 +60, Bach 1G, 1.25G etc, Stork) I've plumped for a Doug Yeo Signature on my Yam 613.

4. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

The Bach 1.25GM is a good one, it has a larger backbore so the sound opens out a bit more.

5. Razor

Razor Member

Bass Trom players seem to be on a never ending quest to find the 'right' mouthpiece. That being the one that works for their physical make-up and the particular model of bass bone that they play.

Everybody's different but personally I cant play well on anything smaller than a Bach 1 1/4G, though some may say I cant play well regardless of what MP is used.! My preference is for a larger sized MP to get the 'sound' I'm aiming for but it is well known fact that there are many players who produce the goods on smaller mouthpieces. For example Bob Hughes of the LSO and Ray Premru played on 2G's and they certainly delivered the goods. I know top brass band players that play on a Bach 1 1/2 G but equally there are players that play on bigger such as Bach 1G, Schilke 59/60, Stork 1, Laskey 93D etc. Everybody is different.

After periods playing on Bach 1 1/4 G, 1 1/4 GM, 1G, 1G Megatone, Stork 1, Schilke 59, Schilke 60, etc..... my 'quest' ended about 5 months ago when I bought the Yamaha Douglas Yeo Signature MP that Andy refers to.

This is the MP for me - big centred sound, projects well, comfortable rim and excellent intonation partcularly in the upper register where generally there is a tendancy for some of the 'big' MP's to play flat. The cup is quite deep and the rim is probably between a Schilke 59 and 60 but more comfortable.

Since switching other people have made favourable comments regards my sound which is nice to hear. :D I just wish I bought one earlier.

Anybody want to buy some used bass bone mouthpieces????

6. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

it's a Bach 1 1/4GM for me.

7. bitmore

bitmore New Member

Got to say I agree with the Yeo MP. Been using one for a couple of years now after using a Bach 1G for years - definitely worth changing. Seems to give better support in the upper register as well as a nice fat sound in the lower.

8. Highams

Highams Member

9. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

After years of experimenting :wink: :wink: . And looking at mouthpieces
    i have ended up on a Josef Klier 03AK its a contra bass trom mouthpiece but works really well down the bottom. And the tuning doesnt go too off when up a height.

good Luck with the search

10. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

So that's how you produce the volume you do! Heard you at the Open last year giving it some impressive stick - more than my personal taste, I must admit, but that's what people want, especially from top bands.

For me, a VB 1 1/4 G suits nicely - can tazz down to the bottom pedal if necessary, but also play with a fat sound, and maintain stamina and a focussed tone high up. When I had a weaker embouchure, a 1 1/2 G suited me better. Haven't experimented that much with an eye to changing on the Bass - what you put in counts for so much more than what you put it into. I have tried using my VB 30CB Contra mouthpiece on my Bass before though - thought it was only really a good idea for playing in the Contra register.

Dave