Bass Trom arrived in Sheffield

Discussion in 'Recruitment Corner' started by Matt_Bown, Oct 5, 2005.

1. Matt_Bown

Matt_Bown New Member

Hi, i've just started at Sheffield uni, and having not played regulalrly for 3 months, i'm looking to get back into regular practices and concerts. I passed my grade 8 bass trom in june, hopefully that'll tell you a bit about my playing standard. I would like to find a good first section band, but am very willing to join an ambitious second section band, who are aiming for promotion.

If you're interested, e-mail me:, and i'll get back to you promptly. The only problem is that I don't drive, so transport to practices would be needed.

2. zuzanna

zuzanna New Member

I've passed a message to someone from Stannington Brass band (first section) as I think they may need a bass trombone and have sent you an email about it.

Welcome to brass banding in Sheffield and to the university (i am a student there too but for me it is my fifth year in the place). Hope you enjoy it here and the banding rivalry that goes on between the local bands!
  3. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Old Silkstone - promoted to Championship Section 1/01/2006 may also be looking for a bass trombone as they are currently "borrowing" ours. I'll pass your details on too. They have people travelling up from Sheffield so I'm sure lifts can be sorted.
  4. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Enjoy your time in Sheffield. Sheffield (and Barnsley) has a great, friendly banding scene and if you get involved you'll make some great friends. I certainly did during my time in Sheffield as a student.

For what it's worth, Stannington and Silkstone are both canny bands and I'm sure Francis (see above) and his non-contesting Killamarsh band will always welcome along a friendly face to join in the fun and frolics if you're ever bored on a Sunday evening!
  5. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Enjoy Sheffield! My time studying there was the first time I really came across any brass bands - doing joint concerts with our choir! (Don't know much about the local bands though). A great place to be, anyway!
  6. timbloke

timbloke Member

Stannington could definitely accomodate a bass trombone, if you're free on saturday night then pop down to our concert and find out what it is all about.

Alternatively (and I shouldn't really suggest anywhere else but..) I know Dinnington (conducted by Toby Bannan are looking for a bass bone for Pontins. They've just gone up from the 3rd section but are a decent band. I can give you Toby's number or look on 4br vacancies page for details.

PM me for more details of either.
  7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

...and Wednesday nights too 7.30 to 9.00 then down the pub for......? "fun and frolics"
    You can get out to Killamarsh on the tram to Halfway from town and we can arrange lifts from there.

Now that would be a sound 3 bass troms and 7 basses :D
  8. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

(We don't normally have 7 basses!) Can vouch that people in Killamarsh are always willing to give lifts from Halfway tram stop as cadge a lift from there for all rehearsals!
  9. Tracey

Tracey Member

Thanks to tmp Old Silkstone Band are pleased to announce that Matt has joined them on bass trom and will be making his debut with the band at Wilkinsons contest on Sunday.:clap: