Bass trom advice

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brass journo, Oct 7, 2004.

1. brass journo

brass journo Member

If looking to buy a bass trom for band and not being a bass trom player, can anyone give advice on good makes or models suitable for decent players in top section bands?

A Holton TR181 was suggested - any thoughts?

cheers

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Holton TR181
    Bass trom advice
    decent players
    bass trom player
  3. Bones

Bones Member

Hi Tabby,

Being a mere tenor trombonist I can only go on what I have seen others play and make a nice noise on.

A holton TR181 is a good standard instrument, normal rotary valves, and quite well made. Similar instruments in this vein are the Yamaha 613 and the Bach 50.

With the introduction of more custom build instruments, you've got one of the best on your doorstep. Mick Rath in Huddersfield does 3 models of Bass trombone, and basically your player would go alongand they would fit out the best package for him. Different Bell, leadpipe, slide etc. Mark Frost (Grimethorpe) plays on one of these bones, nuff said really. The best contact is Chris Beaumont on 01484 549600. The Edwards trombones are in a similar vein as well. David Holt at the Valve in Kent is your contact. Beware though, cos both these are not cheap, but very, very good.

Got to think about your budget really and cut your cloth accordingly.

Give me a call if you want any other help.

Cheers

Rich

4. brass journo

brass journo Member

Cheers Rich

you're a big help as ever!! Budget not huge but looking at shipping one over from USA - just need to know what's worth shipping!!!

Tabbs

5. Bones

Bones Member

If you are shipping one over.

Yamaha, Bach and Holton and Conn will be your best bet. Stay away from Custom/modular trombones as you'll never get the set right for your Bass trom player.

What's the price of instruments like in Singapore/Oz. Just as an aside.

6. Spanky Rear

Spanky Rear Member

Bass Trombone......

I hope your player will test the instrument so that you obtain a suitable one.If you can't manage this and are set on shipping one in don't forget that Getzen and Kanstul provide instruments of good value for those on budgets

7. brass journo

brass journo Member

of course he will try one! It ws just an enquiry about general good makes - as trying one one day and what it is like a few years later are very different things!!

thanks for your help.

8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

My Mum plays a TR181! :)

Very quietly, but she does play it. :oops:

9. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

Agree with the comments already posted. Stick to an American make i.e Holton, Edwards, Getzen, Conn as they seem to make the "better" trombones (purely my subjective view!)
    Must say, quite happy with my TR181, slides works well, triggers slightly noisy and in the rights hands has a good depth and range of sound which is "mellowed" by the Rose Brass bell .

10. brass journo

brass journo Member

maybe she could let Daz have a try one night?Am I right in saying that the TR181 has two trigger / plugs what every you bass trom people call them - I'm only a cornet player?!!;)

11. craigster

craigster Member

If you are playing mostly in brass bands, stick with the Holton. I think that a lot of bass trom players have gone to these huge, dark horns which are great for symphonic stuff, just not what I think a brass band bass trom is supposed to sound like.

Any doubts I had about the Holton in a brass band were quickly dashed after listening to Gorndon Camsey of the ISB on their North American tour.

Craig
    (A Conn tenor tromone player)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass
    Holton TR181
    Bass trom advice
    decent players
    bass trom player
  13. Razor

Razor Member

I would agree that the Holton 181 is a great brass band bass bone and is one that can be picked up for a reasonable price.

I have played on one on and off for about 15 years and i'm of the opinion it lends itself particularly well to brass band playing.

I have to admit that I do fancy moving to a modular bass bone in the future (when finances allow) but I'd be looking at a configuration that produces a similar sound and feel to the holton. The exception being the modular instrument would provide more efficiant valves along with the flexibility to change the timbre of sound to suit different styles of playing. As well as brass bands i also do a wee bit of big band stuff where the Holton is maybe not as bright as is required for that situation, changing to a brighter sounding bell in that instance would make all the difference.

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Sure! I'll get her to bring it along and Daz can let tou know.

Yep, it's a 2 plug job. Nod sure if the second one's a G/Db or Gb trigger, but they're both independant of each other, and daz'll know. (Not that mother ever uses em ;) )

15. BassBoneShep

BassBoneShep Member

You are correct it is double plug, technically a double independant. The second trigger is for G/Db depending on whether you have put a "tuning" slide extension in.

16. trombo

trombo Member

For a bass trombone from the States try Steve Ferguson (Hornguys.com) in LA.He is the Rath dealer there but also sells other makes including custom models from Kanstul.Or Dillons in New Jersey.
    Over here try Tom Rees at the Octave Above at Kirkheaton as he imports Getzen direct and last time I spoke to him a shipment was due in, including several bass models. Phone no: 01484 431725.

I hope that this helps you.

Trombo/Clifton Trombone Choir

17. Razor

Razor Member

The Holton TR181 is an independent bass bone meaning you can use each trigger independently of each other.

The 181 can be played as a Bb/F/G/Eb or Bb/F/Gb/D as it comes with a 2nd trigger slide extension to pitch the 2nd valve in Gb(- without the extension it gives a 2nd valve tuning of G).