Bass solo

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lausonbass, Nov 7, 2005.

1. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

i'm an Eb bass player in a 1st section band and am looking for a solo, i want something that i can work on then maybe play with the band , but thats not really the important bit. i want something to work on that i'll enjoy playing but will be a challenge too.

Has anyone got any suggestions ?

2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

... give us a hint of what you like! (and what you can do, technically, on the bass ;) )
  3. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

well i'm not a **** player i've played for a couple of champ section bands but i'm not exactly steve sykes,lol.

i like funky stuff, nothing to old and boring but something that is happy and cheeky and cheesy.

not bothered whether it's slow or fast, i'm pretty open to suggestions really!!
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

try ... Fantasy On Themes From China Song (Gary Carpenter) or Torn-Erik's Song (Trad - Nils Lindberg arr Ray Farr)
  5. Steve

Steve Active Member

I love playing variiations on a welsh theme on Eb bass. cracking peice and easy enough to get out at band too.
  6. lausonbass

lausonbass Member

cool cheers guys

been looking at some sheet music online too, found a piece called Get Down by Graham Lloyd, anyone heard of it?
  7. Di

Di Active Member

For pure cheese you want "the sun has got his hat on". Bought it for Steve many moons ago, I'll have a look for it tomorrow. IF i can find it, i'll bring it to band.
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I found a recording of Chris Smith playing it with Kew Band. Written in a style of Latin (Spanish) Fusion with mainly melodic lines for the soloist. Dance sections are 8/8 (3+3+2) and supporting harmonies are lush and bluesy and reminescent of fusion progressions of the late '70s. Quite nice, actually! Starts slow and recaps with same material at the end of the solo.
  9. Active Member

We stock this (reference 43562) and there's a soundbite to listen to on our site also.

The Chris Smith recording spoken about earlier is on a CD called Sirius which we're currently offering for £4.99.
  10. nickjones

nickjones Active Member

Carnival for Bass - Fred Muscroft ( Studio )
    Czardas - Monti arr Steve Sykes ( perfect pitch) or Andy Duncan (Warner Bros)
    Carioca - arr Andy Duncan ( Warner Bros)
    Dancing Away with the smoothing Iron - Arr Ray Stedman Allen ( rosehill publish )
    Basso Continuoso ( Bernard Reader ) based on Bach Partita no 3 for Violin - Tricky but worth working at ( can't remember but am sure it's Studio)
    Tuba Tapistry - Michael Brand ( RSmith)
    Concetino for Tuba and Band - Philip Sparke - worth looking at
    The Sun has got his hat on - Philip Sparke
    Fnugg Blue - Oystien Baadsvik ( Ovation ) check website
    Sweet Georgia Brown arr Steve Sykes
  11. BOB_

BOB_ Member

bass in the ballroom is a nice happy one but also fairly challenging
    bombastic bombardon is supossed to be very good as well
  12. Bogtrotter

Bogtrotter Member

Lucy Long - have a look at this link that has the music on the screen and sound - its a cracker I think.
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- mmmmm! I thought this was a euph. solo originally! Mind you, the way it's written more than hints at tuba writing. :) (... nice little flexability number for the chops!)
  14. bassmittens

bassmittens Member

have you tried 'the trouble with the tuba is......' it has a bit if tricky in it, there is also a comedy arrangement of 'one foot in the grave' that's worth a dabble for a bit of fun.
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Lucy Long was originally for bassoon, which can cope with the big leaps a little more easily than either euph or tuba!

Leslie Condon's solo "Celestial Morn" may be worth considering, and is a little out of the ordinary.
  16. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- I only know the brass band arrangement by Sydney Herbert for Lucy Long.
  17. matti_raz

matti_raz Member

Nellie The Elephant- not sure of arranger will research into it!!!!!
  18. TubaBee

TubaBee New Member

Andante & Rondo (Capuzzi)
  19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Others you can consider ...

Badinage (Kevin Norbury)
    Impromptu For Tuba (Darrol Barry)
    Capriccio (Rodney Newton)
    Tuba Muckl (trad. Mnozil Brass, arr. for brass band by Simon Kerwin)
  20. BOB_

BOB_ Member

i havent played the solo part but i have accompanied it and it is a great piece