Bass Section, forgotten again !!!

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Jonno, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Jonno

Jonno Member

I have, today, seen the informative and interesting preview of the Albert Hall National Finals on 4 Bars Rest. I always enjoy reading the information placed there and look forward to the contest this weekend.

Whilst the information they give is fantastic and valued I feel I must write and ‘stick up’ for the bass players in the UK’s bands. This much-aligned section at the back of the band, and their section leaders, it seems does not warrant a mention from them in any contest. They name every section principal within each band with the exception of the bass end. Is it not commonplace that the bass section is the ‘backbone’ of every band and the foundation that the rest of the band sit on and, therefore, must be worthy of a mention. Admittedly there may not be a great deal for them to do and no flashy solo to play in this particular piece but surely they deserve some credit.

Anyway, to try to redress the balance, I have been trailing round some band websites and can give you the names of the Bass Section Leaders (Solo E-flat Bass) at most of the competing band. I am hoping that, in the future, they will consider including them in their reviews, we could not manage without them :-

YBS : Gavin Saynor
    Black Dyke : Joseph Cook
    Brighouse : David Hebb
    Travelsphere Holidays : Robin Norman
    Staffordshire : Ademola Odedina
    Mount Charles : Jeremy Taylor
    Cambourne : Shaun Thomas
    Redbridge : N/K - Not on their website
    Alliance : N/K - Not on their website
    Ever Ready : Dave Carr
    EYMS :Dave Fox
    Leyland : Chris Doran
    Fairey FP : Mark Evans
    Wingates : Mick Morris
    Scottish Co-op : Jonathon Gawn
    Whitburn : Graham Fraser
    BAYV : Austin Davies
    Tredegar : N/K - Not on their website
    Cwmaman : N/K - Not on their website
    Beumaris : Les Neish
    Many thanks,

John 'Jonno' Phillips

Huddersfield

2. ivorbiginstrument

ivorbiginstrument New Member

U have a very good point. I sit on a bass section. My opinion is always the first to get moaned at and always last to receive any praise.

3. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Preach on brother !! When our chums at 4barsrest were previewing Harrogate they mentioned every end man with the exception of the Basses and Baritones!! We may be overlooked but they would not manage without us!!!!!

4. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I thought that was the backrow :biggrin:

5. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

I think it is time for the brothers and sisters to show our utter disgust at the lack of respect for bass players. We must hit at the heart of the banding world (I beleive that to be the SA organisation at present;) ) and have a picket line at every area championship, strike, strike, strike.

Everyone knows that a band is nothing without the boys and gals at the back - you can take away the cornets and you can take away the middle, but you can never take away the bottom end.

One day someone could write a film about the struggles and troubles of band in-fighting and politics - may be along side a story of the success of a mine that will never quit - even if the band folds??????? :rolleyes:

6. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Nah! What you want to do is just mention the trombone sections, clearly the most important! :shock: :-D

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

And what about those people at the back that are hitting things?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2004
  8. JSmith

JSmith Member

Often the basses 'hitting on' unsuspecting young Ladies you mean? heh heh....

If you mean the Percussion section then fair doos ;)

9. Rebel Tuba

Rebel Tuba Member

What about 'em

Sack the lot!!!!!!!:D

10. ukdrummerboy

ukdrummerboy Member

Already tried guys (and gals!).....

JULY 2004 COMMENT, TAKEN FROM 4BARSREST...

A moan from the back of the band...

Great site, and I use it a lot. However, one thing has niggled me for quite a time now. You've recently asked bands to submit info about themselves to help you for Harrogate (great, good idea!), you also ask that they supply a list of Principle players which include...

"cornet, soprano, horn, euphonium, flugel and trombone"

Does percussion not count?! The leader of every other section gets a mention, why not percussion?

Gavin Somerset

Principle percussion Stocksbridge Brass Band

4BR Reply:
    It's not something we do on purpose Gavin, but we have to draw a line somewhere or every Tom, Dick or Harry will want a mention! If we tried to please everyone there wouldn't be space to cover the contest let alone give some pretty comprehensive coverage on each of the competitors.

So I tried for the percussion, but your right, basses and baritones should too get a mention

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Bass Section
    Albert Hall National Finals on 4 Bars Rest
    Cwmaman
    Black Dyke
    size
  12. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

:oops: Sorry for the mistake. What's the correct English expression? I know that "hitting on things" has a different meaning. Is "hitting things" more correct?

Anyway, you seem to think that "unsuspecting young Ladies" is a synonym for "things". I hope you won't get into trouble for that :p

13. RondoRotundo

RondoRotundo Member

All Bass Discrimination should be reported to the Bass Relations Board!

14. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

As one of the soundest lads I ever shared a section with would have it....

"...BBb Basses are the rocks on which a brass band is built."

And he's certainly the rock of our BB section. (Ey up Andy lad. ;))

Percussion do get a raw deal though. It's getting so you can't bash out a decent concert piece without three of them, let alone a test piece! Having played in a band where we had a drummer, but he never showed for jobs, it's mighty difficult to put together a programme without one.

Which brings to mind another quotation...

"...percussion is like darkness. It covers a multitude of sins."

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Well, with Trevor being a BBb player, and Carl on EEb we may be in with a chance!